Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running very slow

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok now I'm going to ask and please be honest.
Do you download from torrents or P2P?

Advertisements

ontheropes

ontheropes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have done yes though I made a decision a while ago to stop

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did this start after downloading something or maybe installing a program, video, movie or game?

ontheropes

ontheropes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Its quite possible but I cant answer definitivley. Its been getting slow for a while, this happened before and about 2 years ago approx. I used the system recovery disk and did a clean install. Obviously it was much faster but has probably been getting slower for a few months.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep over time systems will slow down no matter what you do and sometimes a clean install is the only resolution to fix it.
Adding the extra gig of memory will help a lot.
Tell you what just to make sure I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, then we will consider the memory upgrade and\or a clean install.
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

ontheropes

ontheropes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Will do and thank you for the time you have put into this.

What about the voltage issue though?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That issue still needs to be addressed.
If it is a fact the 12 volt rail is only putting that little out it could be the root of all the issues. The only way you know for sure is a replacement PSU or borrow a known working PSU of the same wattage and try it.
You could have it checked out by a qualified shop to test the PSU to triple check the results.

ontheropes

ontheropes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Okay, well Im an ex sparky and have a multimeter so i guess I could check that so long as I can figure what is what.
I will report back when I know a little more.

Cheers :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D

ontheropes

ontheropes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have one last question if possible..

Regarding the low voltage on the 12v rail as shown by Everest that was showing something less than 2v
This is still the same but I went into the BIOS and according to that I have something like:

+12v 11.6v
-12v -11.8v

So why is the bios showing these voltages, in particular why the minus voltage (is that 24v between minus and plus?)
I have to confess this has confused me but either way its not showing the same as in everest, though the lower voltages are similar to everest.

Thanks

Advertisements

ontheropes

ontheropes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
sorry double post

Edited by ontheropes, 13 January 2011 - 04:12 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The minus 12 volt rail is not the important one. The plus 12 voltage yes is confusing for sure. In some instances the Everest and Speedfan readings have been known not to be correct.
There is one other program we can try to see what it shows and it seems to be a little more accurate with the newer boards. .

Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.

ontheropes

ontheropes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Screenshot attached
If it helps I can reboot a bit later and post BIOS voltages etc

Attached Thumbnails

• CPUIDSS.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Again that +12 volt rail is showing low. I just don't know if the bios is reporting the load reading or the power only reading.
I'm more leaning toward the 3 programs showing the issue.
The low voltage may or may not be the contributing factor to the slowness but it for sure is a issue at this point.
I mean we have looked at all the other hardware and software and found nothing there to be the cause of the issue.
We have changed settings where we can that would normally help with the speed issue.
I suspect you are sure there is no infection that may be the cause of this correct?

ontheropes

ontheropes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
All I can say regards virus or malware is I have everything up to date I have run AVG free antivirus several times on a full scan
I have scanned for malware with malwarebytes, I have run spyware blaster and superantisyware.

I have run SysProt Antirootkit under somebody elses guidance before I came to geeks to go

AVG did pick up a trojan a while back which it claimed to have deleted.

The only thing I can think of is during a driver update using driveragent (as advised elsewhere) I ended up with 2 programs on my pc.
One was Microsoft Intellipoint and the other was called AudioDeck, I attempted to uninstall audiodeck and it would not uninstall
I found a site on the web http://www.securitys.../audiodeck.html which claims it is a dangerous program and I downloaded and installed Audiodeck removal tool.
It failed to remove Audiodeck and now I cannot uninstall Audiodeck removal tool and can find no info on googling it.

The only thing is all this was done After my PC started running slow in my attempts to find the problem so I doubt it is a virus, but then what do I know about virus's?

Edited by ontheropes, 13 January 2011 - 09:52 AM.