Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent Wireless Connectivity

• Please log in to reply

Brennan C.

Brennan C.

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hey, everybody!

I've been experiencing intermittent connectivity to my Wi-Fi and I'm wondering if you could help me out. It's been good for the last few hours, but I find whenever I think "oh, my connection has been good for longer than usual," that's when it goes out. It'll probably go out as I'm composing this post. :-P

If I attempt a "Diagnose and Repair" through the network connection icon in the tray, I get one of four results:
1 - Connection was automatically re-established while it was diagnosing, returning a "no problem" message,
2 - Windows Network Diagnostics returns with an issue which it can resolve on its own,
3 - WND returns with a message simply saying that it has confirmed a network connectivity issue, but doesn't know what the problem is, or,
4 - I lose total connectivity for a few minutes and am unable to connect to my network at all.

I know that basically covers the gamut of possible results that WND can have, but there's no way to predict which one will occur. It seems to be fairly sporadic.
I'm using a D-Link DWA-125 Wireless 150 USB Adapter to connect to my Wi-Fi network from my custom-built, desktop computer running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 and Ubuntu 10.10. The issue doesn't present itself as often in Ubuntu, if at all. I haven't booted into Ubuntu for a little while, as I've been trying to wrap my head around this Wi-Fi issue.

Any guidance you can provide me with is highly appreciated.

Thanks! :-D

Oh, PS: I just checked the driver on the USB dongle, and it's up-to-date.

Edited by Brennan C., 09 January 2011 - 01:10 PM.

Advertisements

sabinoh

sabinoh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been working on this exact same issue now with no luck. NO one replied to your post and I am wondering if it even is something the experts are willing to tackle. It's not like them to leave a post hanging around this long with no replies. Good luck to you I hope i figure this out for myself soon.