Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Download running slow on one computer

• Please log in to reply

Cyborggold

Cyborggold

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I ran several speed tests on my laptop today and they are all coming back with somewhere between 0.6 and 0.8 Mbps download speeds. I can barely watch YouTube videos because of this. My desktop is checking out fine, and getting speeds where they should be in the 6-12Mbps range depending on time of day. I am paying for 20Mbps service (I know it is an up to number.) The desktop is wired, the laptop is running off a wireless connection to my E100 router on a 'G' band. I used to get matching speeds on speedtest.net, and speakeasy.net, for both computers.

I have run Advanced System Care Professional to fix errors on the system, defrag, etc. I have also run Norton's to remove virus/malware, and I have run RegistryBooster two fix any errors in the registry. At this point I really don't know why my download speeds are so low compared to my desktop, which is a slower machine BTW. I have also checked to make sure there is no unwanted traffic on my wireless and the only clients showing up through my router's interface are the computers in my home, all of which were inactive when I ran the tests.

I also did a fresh install of Win 7 about a month ago, so there is no bloatware on my system, and things should still be rather clean and tidy.

System:
HP G60
Dual Core Pentium @ 2.0 GHz
3GB 400MHz RAM
Windows 7
Atheros 802.11 b/g wireless card
Linksys E1000 Router with 'N' disabled
All other computers connected physically to the router

Advertisements