Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New PC failing to initialize RAID

• Please log in to reply

rhaksha

rhaksha

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
So I have just finished installing all of the components for my new computer but when I try to boot it up I get a screen that says Marvell RAID Adapter followed by "Initializing" with several dots that continue to appear for several moments until I get an error saying "Something wrong with adapter!." From what I understand RAID is for multiple Hardrives but I only have one which is connected via SATA. I'm not really sure what to do as this is a new error for me :D

(edit) I should add that it doesn't show the error forever. It will eventually go to a Hardware Monitor screen with some temperature and voltage info while asking to reboot with the proper boot device.

Edited by rhaksha, 09 January 2011 - 04:28 PM.

Advertisements

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
disable RAID in BIOS. There should be a variable like "SATA Mode" or something along those lines - switch that to AHCI if your OS supports it (Vista, 7 do) and report back.

rhaksha

rhaksha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Would this work if I haven't installed a new OS yet? All of the computer's components are new so the HDD is an empty one.

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
It should work fine.

rhaksha

rhaksha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Alright, thanks for the info. I'll give it a go sometime tomorrow morning and post the results when I'm not half asleep.

rhaksha

rhaksha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I tried doing what you said but it wouldn't let me into the BIOS, it just goes through the motions described above. I even doubled checked to make sure the keyboard is being recognized which it is. I do however have 2 SATA connections though even though I only have one HDD. One being the data cable that connects from the HDD to the SATA port and an eSATA cable that's hooked up somewhere inside the case when I bought it (it's difficult to see where it actually leads to). I'm not sure if that would have any effect on RAID settings though, the manual that came with the case didn't tell me what the eSATA cable is actually for. I've also included a graphic representation on how my SATA connections are set up.

Attached Thumbnails

• SATAillustration.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Would this work if I haven't installed a new OS yet? All of the computer's components are new so the HDD is an empty one.

The new HDD needs to be formatted, partitioned and then the new OS installed on it, this will make sure of a clean install.
To do this you need to change the boot sequence to CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second, follow the guide below;

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL or F8 button
This will enter you into the BIOS,
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CD drive,
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit, place the OS disk in the drive,
You will be prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.
Follow the on screen instructions to install the OS, let us know how it goes.

Edited by phillpower2, 10 January 2011 - 02:43 PM.

rhaksha

rhaksha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well right now my problem is that I can't even get into BIOS. The first thing I see is a screen that says "Marvell 885E61xx RAID Adapter- BIOS Version 1.1.0.01.160. Initializing.............................................................................................................................................. Warning - Something wrong with adapter!.

The keyboard is responding just fine as the lights come on for Caps Lock, Numlock, ect when I press them but otherwise no key presses will let me into BIOS.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
You do not need a HDD to get into the BIOS, what key are tapping on powering up, some systems are F2, F8 or Del.
Try disconnecting the HDD and see if you can get into the BIOS, if you can power down and try another SATA port and see how that goes.

rhaksha

rhaksha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've been trying all of the keys you mentioned and all of the function keys really. I'm still getting the same problem even when I've disconnected HDD and anything else connected to the SATA ports.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Ok this may be a BIOS issue, remove the silver CR2032 battery from the MB for a while and then replace it.

Battery jpeg courtesy of rshaffer61

rhaksha

rhaksha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I was actually just able to get into the BIOS just now lol. I'll keep that picture in mind however. During my last start up attempt I noticed an additional screen between the initializing phase and hardware monitor screen I mentioned in my first screen that would flash for less than a second that sort of looked like a logo before it disappeared. You could literally miss it within a blink. Anyway I tried timing pushing the Del key just when it appeared on another attempt and it worked.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

I noticed an additional screen between the initializing phase and hardware monitor screen I mentioned in my first screen that would flash for less than a second

You can also try pressing the tab key! how are things going now?

rhaksha

rhaksha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
So far so good now. I'm currently installing Windows 7. I did forget to change my SATA mode to AHDCI (it was set to IDE earlier) but that didn't seem to affect my ability to install Windows. After the usual intitializing RAID failure it booted from the disc just fine. hopefully it's smooth sailing from here.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Ok, I will check back to see how it has gone, best of luck.