Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Insprion e1505 Display Issues

• Please log in to reply

CharlieRobertson

CharlieRobertson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
At first the display worked but only when set to 800x600 resolution, was difficult to use but worked long enough to backup my files. It still worked that resolution next few times it booted up. Now display stops and goes black about 10 seconds after Windows XP screen starts.

Any ideas? Has Nvidia GeForce Go 7300 video board. Video Bios Ver: 005.072.022.042.106.000 and has 128MB RAM native Resolution: 1680 by 1250

Please help!!!

Thanks,

Charlie

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi CharlieRobertson :D
Have you tried hooking the laptop up to an external screen via the VGA port to see if you get a display?
It could be an overheating issue, can you hear the CPU fan working, has the inside of the computer ever been cleaned out of heat trapping dust also how many sticks of Ram do you have fitted?

CharlieRobertson

CharlieRobertson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply.

answers:

Have you tried hooking the laptop up to an external screen via the VGA port to see if you get a display? YES - this is when I first started having issues, it would not display to external screen any more.
It could be an overheating issue, can you hear the CPU fan working, has the inside of the computer ever been cleaned out of heat trapping dust also how many sticks of Ram do you have fitted? CPU fan clearly running. I took out the Hard Drive, Battery, and checked the 2 sticks of 1GB ram, very clean, no dust.

I do recall the laptop dropping one time about 1 1/2 years prior to the problem. It was still in 2nd protective zipped sleve, no immediate problems noted from that incident. Much later (1 1/2 to 2 years) I started having these issues.

I did a diagnostic through the Windows Boot Option screen, it noted no problems with any of the display, or video card "connection". It went through all the color variations, and screen text variations to check the system. No errors.

Just when the program runs about 10-15 seconds into the "Windows XP Pro" startup, the screen goes blank, then two seconds later it goes totally black. The lights indicate normal continued operation of the laptop.

I'm thinking it's something to do with the Graphics Card, but could it be the OS? I could reinstall it, or go to Windows 7. The display is crystal clear up until Windows XP starts to load after 15 seconds.

It's a little puzzling.

Charlie

CharlieRobertson

CharlieRobertson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I connected another flat screen monitor to the VGA connection in the back. Everything seemed the same until the screen went blank as expected at 16 seconds, then I used the fn key plus F8 to shift to the 2nd monitor to see if that was a solution, and guess what... both screens lit up. I think that while booting up, somehow the "send image to alternate screen" option was activated without touching any keys.

Setting it back to the home screen worked, now it boots up normally, I noticed that I have 800x600 and 1280x720 available on the laptop and 2nd screen now.

Thanks. If it had not been for your suggestion to add the 2nd screen I would not have tried the Fn+F8 keys and found that it was working already.

Thanks a bunch.

CharlieRobertson

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I was just about to ask "do you have to toggle between screens using Fn and one of the F1 to F12 keys" so well done for doing this yourself and thank you for letting us know the issue was now resolved, your solution may help others in the future :D ;)