Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help with connecting to xbox live!

• Please log in to reply

ZzDkexzZ

ZzDkexzZ

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok so I just got the wireless adapter for m Xbox and a gold membership... I connected to everything except Xbox live. It said the MTU was supposed to be 1364. I have a wireless belkin N+ router and I was able to change the MTU to 1364. Now when I did that the modem light and the Internet light started flashing orange. It wouldn't let me connect to anything (e.g iPod, laptop ect). What do I do because I spent a lot of money on it.

If i set it on PPPoE I loose all connection. Only dynamic connection will work. My router is a Belkin and the model is F5D8235-4 N+ Wireless Router.

I spent a lot of money on the adapter and the membership card

:D ;) ;) ;) :(

Edited by ZzDkexzZ, 13 January 2011 - 01:53 PM.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

It said the MTU was supposed to be 1364. I have a wireless belkin N+ router and I was able to change the MTU to 1364.

Can you explain this in a little more detail? The Xbox 360 should work with the standard MTU size.

If i set it on PPPoE I loose all connection. Only dynamic connection will work. My router is a Belkin and the model is F5D8235-4 N+ Wireless Router.

I spent a lot of money on the adapter and the membership card

Can you tell me a little about your ISP (Cable, fiber, DSL, etc) and the make / model of your modem?

ZzDkexzZ

ZzDkexzZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Can you explain this in a little more detail? The Xbox 360 should work with the standard MTU size.

Can you tell me a little about your ISP (Cable, fiber, DSL, etc) and the make / model of your modem?

I was on the phone with xbox yesterday and i went through the process to change the MTU and it was already at 1452 so it should of worked.....

The ISP is windstream and the modem model is Speedstream 4200

the Xbox guy said it might be a problem with Windstream not changing the MTU but i have no idea

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I see that you have both the Speedstream 4200 and the Belkin N+. Are you aware that both of these devices are routers? Unless you have the Speed Stream running in Bridge Mode or the Belkin N+'s DHCP server turned off, you are going to run into problems. I think that's where we should start and then we can move on to opening the correct ports for XBL to function.

Is the Speed Stream in bridge mode or have you turned off the DHCP server in the Belkin?

ZzDkexzZ

ZzDkexzZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i have no idea should I?

which one? bridge or disable DHCP??

Edited by ZzDkexzZ, 11 January 2011 - 08:14 PM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I prefer to put the modem in bridge mode if possible and allow your router to handle the addressing. You can put your Speedstream 4200 in bridge mode by following these instructions:

• Connect your PC directly to the modem, bypassing the Belkin
  • Go to Start -> Run and type command and press Enter
  • Once the command prompt opens type ipconfig /all and press Enter
  • Look for the line that says "Default Gateway" and write down that number.
  • Type exit and press Enter
  • Open a browser and type <DefaultGateway>/brgmode.html
  • You'll need to substitute the number from the third step where I have <DefaultGateway>
  • You should receive a message that the changes were successful along with a button to reboot the modem

Once that is done, be aware that you will no longer be able to connect to the internet and we'll need to do some configuration with the Belkin. You'll then want to connect your Belkin back to the modem and then reconnect your PC to the Belkin. Then, using the instructions included with your Belkin, connect to the user interface. You'll want to set up the PPPoE connection following the instructions in the user manual. You'll need your username and password for this step. Assuming this is the "Dial In" type of DSL.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 12 January 2011 - 07:40 AM.

ZzDkexzZ

ZzDkexzZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i haven't done that yet (will edit post when i do) but i just found out something interesting.. i was testing xbox live and then i wanted to call my friend on my home phone and i didn't get a dial tone ;) :( ;) :D ;)

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

(will edit post when i do)

You may want to just create a new post, as I'm not sure if notifications work when an old post is edited. So it's possible that I would miss your edit.

Do you have your DSL filters in place? You should have one on every device except for your DSL modem. All phones, fax machines, etc.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 13 January 2011 - 07:15 AM.

ZzDkexzZ

ZzDkexzZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok my dad called windstream and they said that we would need to update our DSL because we bought the cheapest one possible..... so yeah thanks for trying to help though.... might want to post the rest of your solution here just in case other people want to know how to fix it ;) ;)

:D

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
The speed of your connection has nothing to do with the ability, or inability, to connect to Xbox Live. It will impact your gameplay, but not as much as you might think. I'm assuming you have the 768k down and 128k up package? According to Microsoft, that is sufficient to play online, but you will not be able to be the host. With online gaming, it all comes down to latency and not speed. You can have the fastest connection in the world but with high latency, you are still going to lag.

Anyway, like I said, with your current connection you should still be able to connect to XBL. If you can't, there is something wrong and a speed upgrade won't help.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 13 January 2011 - 01:58 PM.

ZzDkexzZ

ZzDkexzZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well its not really a speed upgrade.... it's just a DSL upgrade because the one we have now is not compatible with xbox live and that is xbox's fault for not making there technology more compatible.... so we are either gonna get an upgrade or get a long ethernet cable to run down to my basement....