Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaning up hard drive...need help

• Please log in to reply

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Hi

I ran JDiskReport and one of the things I found is a 2gb Installer folder. I looked and saw that I can remove most of it with a file called MSI Cleanup Utility. Problem is its not on the Microsoft site anymore (that I can find atleast). Is it hiding somewhere or is there something comparable to it out there? I have an XP computer and my smallish hard drive is filling up and I need to make this thing last another year.

Advertisements

Darth.Mikey

Darth.Mikey

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Can you tell us what is the exact folder name ?

MS retired the MSI Cleanup utility.

More info here: http://msmvps.com/bl...-available.aspx

For cleaning out junk files i would recommend CCleaner. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Sudlo

Sudlo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hi

I ran JDiskReport and one of the things I found is a 2gb Installer folder. I looked and saw that I can remove most of it with a file called MSI Cleanup Utility. Problem is its not on the Microsoft site anymore (that I can find atleast). Is it hiding somewhere or is there something comparable to it out there? I have an XP computer and my smallish hard drive is filling up and I need to make this thing last another year.

Hi Brian1976.

There is an utility its called as WINDIRSTAT - it gives you the statistics of the drive i guess it is similar to JDISK report.

its a free utility which can help you ..

please find the link below hope this helps..

WINDIR

regards

Sudlo

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
its c\windows\installer its filled with a bunch of folders

For cleaning out junk files i would recommend CCleaner. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Sudlo

Sudlo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

its c\windows\installer its filled with a bunch of folders

1) Go to Add-Remove Programs and see if any of those programs list the size of the application. Some will not, but the ones that do may provide insight to the size problem.

2) Begin removing non-critical apps and re-installing only if necessary. It's possible that one of these applications has corrupted and the Installer folder re-builds what it needs...

and secondly

go into the temp folder.. follow this step ... click start - run -- type %temp% clean every thing ... i mean to say delete everything in that folder..

click start -- run -- prefetch -- delete the contents.. this could help you get some space..

i came across a blog and in there they mentioned about a tool called as MsiZap.exe

after you download the above tool

This page may be helpful as well:

Follow

Read

hope this helps you ..

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Deleting and cleaning out the installer folder could render programs inoperable. The folder contains references to a programs installation.

Consider the Installer folder in the same light as C:\Program Files.

It would be nice if windows/Microsoft would make it easy to designate where these folders are actually located. There are some registry hacks to relocate some of these folders, such as for the Program Files location, but even Microsoft doesn't follow its own rules.

Point is, you often (usually) need the MSI file(s) used to install a product in order to patch, repair and uninstall the product. If this is missing, it is difficult to near impossible to properly maintain the product.
Often the MSI is kept in the temp folder of the user doing the install. So if one cleans up the Temp folder as they should from time to time, and sometimes must to get a program to start working properly again (WinFax Pro anyone?), or if the user and his profile is deleted, you've just rendered the product unmaintainable. This 'feature' has rendered update issues for .net and Visual C++ 2005 redistributable.
In the case of .net, you end up manually ripping it out, then reinstalling it from the beginning. Fun stuff.
In the case of C++, one can download the original pre-SP1 version, extract the files, and point the SP1 installer to the extracted MSI. You actually have to do 2 extractions, one from the downloaded file, and again from the master MSI that contains the real MSI. Again, fun stuff but immensely easier than .net fix.

So, MS now has a folder to keep many of these MSI's that you need in order to perform maintenance on your product, though many of their packages still miss the mark and store the original MSI in the temp folder, as do some third party products. MSOCache is another alternative, but still not the best naming approach, but at least it is out of the way of the root directory and out of the Temp folders. What I really get bugged about is those CSLID folders at root of drives.

So, if you need to clean up the C: drive, and you feel the best approach is to shrink down the Installer folder, relocate its contents, but be sure to have it on hand, in the event you get the message (paraphrased) "Where in the world is this MSI? I can't do a single thing without it"
Similarly but less of a problem is the $ folders at root of Windows directory. At least most of those are not likely necessary if the windows update that pertains to the particular folder has been long installed and working. Even then, best to have it on hand somewhere.

What would really be nice is if applications were made to have a manifest so that users/utilities could clean up systems and remove files/registry entries that aren't accounted for in the manifests of accounted for applications.

Now lets chat about the DLLs in system32....

I would recommend ATF cleaner to clean the comp.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
[/list]

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
thanks for the advice. I think that since there isnt a program to do the work for me that I will just leave that folder alone for now. And I use ATF I love the program. I use it every time I close my browers.