Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

@ symbol will not display under a standard user account

• Please log in to reply

globaljoe

globaljoe

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hello, I've discovered a really annoying problem in Vista and it is bugging the [bleep] out of me, I can only get the @ symbol to display while using an administrators account, if I log into a standard user account the @ symbol displays as " , I cannot get the @ symbol to display in anything: web forms, notebook, Open Office, nothing. Can anyone tell me why this crazy situation exists?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It is possible in Windows to have separate keyboard layouts for different user accounts. Quite why you'd want to do this is anybody's guess but the feature is there.

In the accounts in question, look at the keyboard layout option and you'll probably find it's set up for a wrong keyboard than that is present in the "working" account.

I presume you are mean you get an @ sign when you press SHIFT and 2, when you're expecting a " sign (which usually means the keyboard is an English one and the accounts are set for an American keyboard).

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
For anyone who may be interested, with a little help from a member on another site, I checked the keyboard language settings, it was set up to toggle between two available settings, English and Israeli, I got rid of the Israeli setting but still no difference regarding the @ symbol, however, now when I press the " I get the @ symbol, which did not happen before so I suppose I can put up with that, but I would still like to know how this comes about??