Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive Advice

• Please log in to reply

boathoss

boathoss

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

First time poster, first class support required :-)

I previously had a laptop which gave up the ghost of life. Since then i have reused my old pc workstation which is near to full capacity and as such i cant really load anymore software onto it such as i-tunes. My question is is it possible to download i-tunes to an external hard drive and run it through that?

Also if i have new software which i do such as adobe cs4 packages is it possible to upload the software to the external hard drive and run it through that?

And finally if i purchase a game is it possible to run the game via the external hard drive.

The hard drive is 500gb FYI.

Any support, directions / advice would be greatly recevived.

Thanks,

Boathoss

I

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi bathose, :D

1 & 2. You would have to download any programs to the OS drive and then install to the external drive.

3. Yes but, running applications especially games, from a USB interface external hard drive, will be much slower than the internal drive unless the interface is eSATA, which would mean having eSATA on the PC.

A better option would be to install a second hard drive in the PC and use it just for Data keeping the C drive for the OS and programs.