Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WEP key in registery

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I need some input to know if a friend knew what they were talking about. A little background. I activated the wireless capability of a router my father has used wired for about a year and a half. The adapter I installed asked for the WEP key. A friend told me I could get the key out of the registery. His instructions...

Hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\wzcvc\parameters\interfaces.

I was to write down each of the first set of numbers and letters shown beside the folders and enter these one at a time when asked to input the WEP key. It did not work.

First, I have a differant path. Mine is located uner HKLM not HKCU. Am I trying the correct set of numbers and letters or does my friend not know what he is doing? He says he got it off a website and it worked for him.

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
whether that works or not, it wouldn't exist if the computer never connected to the router to begin with

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
This particular pc is connected (wired) to the router. Dad just wants to move the pc and for relatives with laptops to be able to connect when they come over. He does not remember what key he entered when the router was installed. Two other pc's are also wired to this router. Trying to get out of entering new keys for the three pc's connected to it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....wired connections don't need keys. so you shouldn't have to enter a new anything.

again, nothing would be in your registry if you never connected to the wireless connection.

simple sollution, log back into the router and look at the security page. it'll have the key on it

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Ah, now I see what you were saying. Thanks. As far as logging into router for key, encrypted. Unless since the wireless adapter and router have never talked, I can change one of the keys shown and direct the adapter to it.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Thank you, Dsenette. I do not know why some people make things so hard. Worked like a charm.