Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc reboots after i try to login

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Kinyo

Kinyo

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
My old lady was listening to music and then the pc restarted. Since then every time we turn the pc on, it gets to the login screen. We put in our password and then it gets us in, 3 seconds later it reboots. We have tried using different users ( we have 3 ) in the other 2 we tried to get to control panel and kill the infected user. But it was faster and now all 3 users are infected, or i should say, all 3 users reboot when you try to login to them.

Does anyone know what to do? I read the sticky from admin about the avg rescue disk, but isn't that for pc's that won't boot? Cause ours does.

If you know what to do, please help, thank you

Advertisements

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi kinyo,

Welcome to Geekstogo. My name is Salagubang and I'll be helping you with this problem.

I am still a trainee so all my posts will be checked by an Expert. It's your advantage that there are two people looking at your log but responses may be a little delayed so please be patient.

• Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described. I would recommend printing them out, if you can, as you can check off each step as you complete it. If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear, please come back to me for clarification.
  • Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you. Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply. You can do this in separate posts if it's easier for you
  • English is not my first language, so please do not use slang or idioms, as this makes it difficult to understand for me.

On the clean computer.

• Download the attached Scan.txt and save it to your USB stick.
    Attached File  scan.txt   494bytes   541 downloads
  • Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD

On the infected computer.

• Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :D
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Double click Custom scans and fixes box, a dialogue box will appear. Choose the scan.txt saved previously on your USB drive.
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

Kinyo

Kinyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
On the infected pc. Between steps 2 and 3 is where i have trouble. I have a gateway pc and i don't have a cd player but a DVD player, so i set my boot sequence to DVD rom. And when i restart it, nothing hanged, it then says "boot ready" and after that it goes to a screen where it asks me to start widows in safe mode, start windows without networking, etc.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hmmm, did you burn the tool using a blank CD-R disk.

An alternative.

IMPORTANT:
You will need a flash drive with a size of 512 Mb or bigger. Make sure that you do not leave anything important on the flash drive, as all data on it will be deleted during the following steps.

• Download PetoUSB from the following link and save it to your Desktop: http://www.4shared.c...ToUSB_3008.html
    • Finally, if you do not have a file archiver like 7-zip or Winrar installed, please download 7-zip from the following link and install it: the mirror
  • Once you have 7-zip install, decompress OTLPEStd.exe by rightclicking on the folder and choosing the options shown in the picture below. Please use a dedicated folder, for example OTLPE, on your Desktop

Posted Image
  • Open the folder OTLPEStd which will be created in the same location as OTLPEStd.exe and right-click OTLPE_New_Std.iso. Select 7-Zip and from the submenu select Extract files... and extract the content onto your Desktop in a OTLPE folder:

Posted Image
  • Please also decompress PetoUSB to your Desktop.
  • Empty the flash drive you want to install OTLPE on.
  • Double-click PEtoUSB on your desktop to launch it.

• Note: If you are using Windows 7, you must run PEtoUSB using XP compatibility mode. To do this:

• Right-click on the PEtoUSB icon on your desktop and choose properties
      • Then, select Compatibility from the tabbed menu at the top of the properties page
      • Now, tick the "Run this program in compatibility mode for..." box and select the OS you wish to emulate. For most applications, it will be Windows XP SP2. Once you are done, click OK
  • As indicated in the image, make sure you have selected the correct flash drive, before proceeding.
    For Drive Label: type in OTLPE.
    Under Source Path to built BartPE/WinPE Files click ... and select the folder OTLPE that you created on your Desktop.
    Finally check Enable File Copy.

Posted Image
  • Click on Start, accept the disclaimers and wait for the program to finish.
Your bootable flash drive should now be ready!

Kinyo

Kinyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
OTLPEStd.exe and OTLPESNET.exe are they the same? Or where do I get OTLPEStd.exe from?

The link above for OTLPENET.exe I opened it and replaced it with OTLPEStd.exe and am downloading that file. Correct?

Edited by Kinyo, 11 January 2011 - 08:00 PM.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts

OTLPEStd.exe and OTLPESNET.exe are they the same? Or where do I get OTLPEStd.exe from?

OTLPESNET.exe has internet capabilities. You may use it instead. :D

Kinyo

Kinyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I have PetoUSB on my desktop and I changed it in compatibility to run as Windows XP SP2
I have a file on my desktop that says OTLPENET, I extracted that into a folder OTLPENet, and the ISO file in there has been extracted to a folder called OTLPE

Then when I open PetoUSB, it says it cannot find any USB disks. Even though I have 2 of them plugged in. One is 512mb and the other is 4 GB

If this -HAS- to work, then I will purchase another USB stick tomorrow and hope it works, if there is another way, please let me know.

I can provide screenshots if you would like

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Try closing and opening PEtoUSB again and see if it recognizes the sticks.

Kinyo

Kinyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Nope, I have tried a few times. I am thinking about rebooting my laptop and see if it works.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Ok let me know how it goes.

Advertisements

Kinyo

Kinyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Still doesn't recognize the USB drives.

I have Windows Vista on my laptop, does that have anything to do with it? Because I know Vista can be a pain in the a$$

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Can you try if safemode still works on the infected machine. To do this:

Restart the computer, then press F8 continuously to bring up the boot selection menu and choose Safe Mode.

Edited by Salagubang, 11 January 2011 - 08:56 PM.

Kinyo

Kinyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
It still wont work.

This is what I have when I hit F8 (Maybe there is another option that will help?)

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable low-resolution video (640x480)
Last known good configuration (advanced)
Directory services restore mode
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Windows Normally

I have all those.

Edited by Kinyo, 11 January 2011 - 09:07 PM.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
There are lots of ways, we're just trying the easiest - for now. :D

Does this machine comes with the XP installation CD?

Do you think you can find an XP machine to create the bootable USBs?

Kinyo

Kinyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I found a XP machine. I just created the bootable USB drive, Took like 3 hours haha.

I am going to put it in and boot from USB drive. Wish me luck :D

Edit: it works but now i am on a screen and it says "free pe reatogo, pnp device detection"

And there is a counter at the bottom right corner. Do i wait or what do i do?

Edit #2: never mind its doing things, i will just wait it out ;)

Edited by Kinyo, 12 January 2011 - 11:50 PM.