Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new build...windows 7 extremely slow...computer crawls.

• Please log in to reply

trojannemo

trojannemo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys, new here in search of help.

I used to be into computers, overclocking, benchmarking and all that a few years back. Then with work, marriage, and now law school, I've been off the bandwagon for a long time. Until three days ago I was running XP SP3 with 3GB of SDR ram...

anyways, decided to upgrade and combine what few parts were decent from my pc and my wife's pc (mobo and cpu got fried with a power outage).

we got the following NEW:

ASUS P7H55-M LE motherboard
Intel Core i3 540 processor
Corsair XMS3 4GB ram (1 stick with double heatsinks, dont have the model # with me)
Ultra Pro 650W PSU
Gigabyte case (eh)

used parts from the other computers
Maxtor 500GB SATA HDD
Maxtor 200GB SATA HDD
WD 250GB SATA HDD x 2
HP IDE DVD+-RW multi-drive
Philips PCI TV-Tuner card

the video card I had on my xp machine was a pci-e ati 7300GS (exactly...) and the tech at the store where I bought the mobo told me the integrated video would be better so to not even bother. I have a DVI connection to my monitor and a VGA connection to my LCD tv. both work and look ok, so I believe the video drivers at least are installed ok.

when I first hooked it up all it worked but began overheating in BIOS (got up to 62 C quickly). added thermaltake thermal paste and now stable at 45C (need better case ventilation I guess).

Installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit OEM from a DVD. this took forever. longer than Windows XP ever took me anyways. i did a custom install, where I had the installation cd delete all old partitions, create one partition and format it prior to installation.

from the first boot, it took forever to load and it lagged horribly, so that you can see the images drawing if you dragged something across the screen.

I thought it would be drivers missing. installed all the drivers that came with the ASUS CD. still nothing. then did windows update. 60+ updates. took forever. still sluggish.

there are no programs installed yet. windows update says everything's up to date. all asus drivers are installed. computer CRAWLS.

I know the parts we bought aren't exactly top of the line, but all of the parts are incredibly much more advanced than what I was using and this is running slower than my 750Mhz AMD Duron did with Windows ME back in the day.

i thought perhaps I needed to install the SATA drivers? i downloaded the drivers from the ASUS support page for my specific model motherboard...and i got "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements"?!!!?!

I tried doing a system scan, using sfc /scannow and left it overnight. it was at 20% verification 6 hours later when I checked again.

at one point windows checked the hard drive for errors, nothing. then I tried startup repair, and it found no errors that it could fix? i did a memory check and also came up with no problems reported.

since I've been out of the game for so long I thought maybe some BIOS option i'm missing. so I reset all the BIOS options to default. no difference. before I installed windows I had even taken out the BIOS battery to reset the values.

at this point I have a new computer, with modest hardware but immensely more technologically advanced than what I had three days ago. and it crawls like i'm using the computer through a 28.8K remote desktop connection (not kidding).

what is going on? since I'm not sure what kind of problem I'm having I'll be posting in all the outlets (asus, intel, windows 7 forums, etc).

any help or pointers will be appreciated. much googling did not prove useful. i dont have viruses, i dont have a full startup load, i dont have a full prefetch folder...this is a problem from a fresh installation!

your help is greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Jeremy662

Jeremy662

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Make sure the memory is 1333 or 1066.

Edited by Jeremy662, 12 January 2011 - 12:02 AM.

trojannemo

trojannemo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for the reply. I guess I forgot to update this thread as well as the many others I started elsewhere.

after getting much advice, I tried a combination of things, moving the ram stick to DIMMA rather than DIMMB where it was, adding a pci-e video card, disabling speedstep in bios, changing sata mode from enhanced to compatible, and some other changes. right after windows worked at the speed I was expecting it to.

then I found out the dvd i was given wasnt genuine windows...so had to go and buy it (good thing i'm a student!) and reinstalled today. now with a genuine windows 7 pro copy and super fast speeds!

Jeremy662

Jeremy662

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeah, made that mistake myself before, got the copy of windows 7 pro i'm running now off newegg for like 120 bucks, is a system builder disk, can't be uninstalled and reinstalled on another machine, but don't plan on doing that anyway.

trojannemo

trojannemo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
as a qualifying student I got Windows 7 Pro Upgrade Retail from Microsoft's Ultimate Steal discount program for $65 :-D

Jeremy662

Jeremy662

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Just wrong, i started my first little project, ended up putting 1500 dollars into it, not counting monitor, keyboard and speakers. used my old mouse. Have it posted in here, on page 2.