Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I test my HD?

• Please log in to reply

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Is there a way to test my HD to see if it is 'going'? I had some errors in event viewer, that were related to Google Updater (BETA) and also my WA. I uninstalled the WA with REVO, and rebooted, reinstalled that, and also removed the Google Updater.

The initial issues, was my WA was shutting down in the middle of me being online. OK, uninstalled and reinstalled, that is working fine since, and hasn't shut down. (Also, no errors in event viewer YET!) Here is one I had repeatedly:
===========================================
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 1/9/2011
Time: 2:17:16 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ********
Description:
Faulting application dsnetwacore.exe, version 6.0.0.0, faulting module cx_core.dll, version 6.0.0.0, fault address 0x00004bd4.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 64 73 6e ure dsn
0018: 65 74 77 61 63 6f 72 65 etwacore
0020: 2e 65 78 65 20 36 2e 30 .exe 6.0
0028: 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 6e 20 .0.0 in
0030: 63 78 5f 63 6f 72 65 2e cx_core.
0038: 64 6c 6c 20 36 2e 30 2e dll 6.0.
0040: 30 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 0.0 at o
0048: 66 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 ffset 00
0050: 30 30 34 62 64 34 0d 0a 004bd4..

=====================================

I also seen the errors from the Google Updater that was MANY errors, and the same with that one, faulting application

I was was wondering, if this is a sign of HD failure? Or, maybe just a corrupt file in one of the apps?

I have Secunia installed, and keep everything up to date, except, I did not re-install Google Updater, as I don't like BETA programs.

Also, I have Secunia 1.5.0.2, and not the updated v. of 2.0 because 2.0 will not work with my XP machine, and Secunia has not come out with a fix as of yet. So, I am staying with the v. 1.5 as told to do by Secunia.

Any thoughts on this? As far a s surfing, no problem, but if my HD is failing, I sure would like to know before I am in the middle of a post somewhere!

Windows XP PRO SP3
IE 7/ FF 3.6.13
Secunia 1.5.0.2
AVAST!
PCTOols FW

TIA!

Edited by Tee*Cee, 10 January 2011 - 05:05 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Most disk manufacturers have diagnostic programs, but since it is vendor specific, you need to get the correct version based on who made your disk.

For example, Seagate SeaTools:

Seagate

Go to the web site of the manufacturer and check out support and/or downloads and you should be able to find the program.

Disk errors can produce other errors, but I don't know that the problem that you are having is an indication of a disk problem.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Thank you , Kemasa, I was wondering the same thing. If it was the HD failing, I would have seen a lot more evidence. I was only seeing appl. errors, and one app was a BETA.. Got rid of that one, and I will check out Dell, and see what I can find out. Thank you. Also, I have had no blue or black screens, nothing else.

I spoke with my ISP today, and he suggested one of two problems:

1- My HD may be failing or
2- a corrupted file

I just wanted to be extra sure.

Thanks! ;)

EDIT: I am going to run a diag. test now. I sure hope it cmes back OK> They have a PSA Diagnostics test with error codes up the ying yang! I'll post back, if anything shows. I just want to be SURE.. ;)

OK, went to dell. Did the following:

Restart the system.
At the Dell logo screen, press <F12>.

At the One Time Boot menu, press the <Down> arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, then press <Enter> to begin PSA.

Write down any error codes listed.

I did the re-boot, and pressed the F12, but didn't get the screen they are talking about. I got a BOOT FIRST screen, and no diagnostics..

HERE

There was no error codes, so I guess nothing is wrong with the HD. ;) I am sure it is just a corrupted file, myself. Just needed to be SURE!! :D

Edited by Tee*Cee, 10 January 2011 - 10:56 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try the following:

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

If that shows no errors and\or repairs anything then try the following:

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Thank you rshaffer61, I did run the Chkdsk and ran thru the 3 stages, and found 0 bad sectors. I assume you want me to do the 5 now? My Chkdsk has the 3 and the 5. :D

So far, going pretty dang good.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
OK, unable to edit, but I do have all the disks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
chkdsk /r checks more areas and can take a lot longer.

The other test will check the core system files for any corruption or missing files.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi rshaffer61, just finished, and yeah, it did take all this time but it is done, and nothing was found. All is good :D I am only using 10% of my HD as it is.

Thanks!

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 1/11/2011
Time: 12:01:33 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ********
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cleaning up 16 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 16 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 16 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

240003067 KB total disk space.
23008196 KB in 113932 files.
42604 KB in 7105 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
245803 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
216706464 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
60000766 total allocation units on disk.
54176616 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
20 3b 02 00 c8 d8 01 00 25 d3 02 00 00 00 00 00 ;......%.......
4b 20 00 00 02 00 00 00 52 07 00 00 00 00 00 00 K ......R.......
1c 10 fa 0b 00 00 00 00 6a a6 4a 4a 00 00 00 00 ........j.JJ....
b4 94 17 13 00 00 00 00 ae 85 d5 43 03 00 00 00 ...........C....
d6 46 c6 bd 09 00 00 00 7a b8 5d 6c 0d 00 00 00 .F......z.]l....
30 7c 21 5f 00 00 00 00 98 38 07 00 0c bd 01 00 0|!_.....8......
00 00 00 00 00 10 4f 7c 05 00 00 00 c1 1b 00 00 ......O|........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How about the SFC?
This will tell you if at least if a System File is the cause of your issues.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The system tests do not check out the disk as well as the manufacturer diagnostics. Dell does not make the disk, so you need to determine who made the disk.

You can go to the start menu and right click on "My Computer" and select "manage". Expand the "system tools" and select "device manager" and open the "disks drives" by clicking on the "+". That should tell you who made the disk.

Once you know that, you can get the diagnostics program and run it, which typically involves making a CD or other bootable device. It needs to access the disk without the operating system running and test aspects that can not be tested in a generic manner.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree Kemasa and the chkdsk I was only suggesting to test the integrity of the disk along with the file system located on the disk.
The use of the manufacturers hd diagnostics tool is always the most reliable way to test the hd for hidden problems. ;) :D

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

How about the SFC?
This will tell you if at least if a System File is the cause of your issues.

Nothing showed up on the SFC. I know I have SATTA HD. That much I know, and I did try the Dell Diag.

I think my 'issues' was a corrupt file with the WA. I buy that from my ISP. Between that and the BETA Google Updater, I think I have solved this issue tho. I removed the Google Updater, and removed the WA, and reinstalled it. It is working great and I have had no blue or black screens. I just wanted to be sure.

Thank you :D

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

The system tests do not check out the disk as well as the manufacturer diagnostics. Dell does not make the disk, so you need to determine who made the disk.

You can go to the start menu and right click on "My Computer" and select "manage". Expand the "system tools" and select "device manager" and open the "disks drives" by clicking on the "+". That should tell you who made the disk.

Once you know that, you can get the diagnostics program and run it, which typically involves making a CD or other bootable device. It needs to access the disk without the operating system running and test aspects that can not be tested in a generic manner.

Thank you, I will do that too! :D

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
OK, couldn't edit again. Did check Kemasa, and all I found was this:

WDC WD 2500JS-75NCB3

Now, I don't see any manufac. but my system is running fine. Once I removed the Google Updater.. Just a thought.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

WDC WD

Western Digital Corporation