Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I test my HD?

• Please log in to reply

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

WDC WD

Western Digital Corporation

Thank you rshaffer61, I just had another "issue" Application error with my Web Accelerator. Dang, it just cuts out completely, and then I have to reboot. I will check and see if I can find that site. I did talk to my ISP, which is where I buy my WA from. Of course, I am the only one in the entire universe to have a complaint.. I do know others that have issues with it, but won't complain. Grrr I can do a diagnostics on the WA, But don't see anything that stands out.

If I can stay online, I will search that . Thanks. ;)

Well, I have their site, here:

Western Digital

And, I ;) am lost.. Totatally lost!

OK, got to THIS SCREEN
But cannot find any diagnosis. Am totally lost in this one.

My HD is WD 2500JS-75NCB3 I don't know if that is SS or Scorpio, or whatever, but I cannot find that one there. :D

Edited by Tee*Cee, 11 January 2011 - 08:07 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE then scroll down the page till you find this:

Data Lifeguard Tools 11.0 for DOS and Windows (CD) (01.02.2007)

Download that and then do the following.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
After downloadign the file it will be a zip file.
Unzip it then you will see a .iso type file.
Use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
Leave the disk in the cdrom and reboot your system. If done correctly the diagnostic tool will start. Make sure to run the long or advanced test on the drive.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
OK, rshaffer61, I'll have to try to find that one. Now, I have a CD burner on my computer. Can't I just save to desktop, and or burn to CD? I don't know if I can stay connected long enough, depending on the size of the file, to do the image burn too. Just don't know. I got kicked off line today, while doing Windows Updates, and that only took 8 minutes.

Well, I'll try it, it is pretty big. I will try and see if I can stay connected long enough. Yeah, at times like this, gotta LOVE dial up! :D

Edited by Tee*Cee, 11 January 2011 - 08:38 PM.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Go HERE then scroll down the page till you find this:

Download that and then do the following.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
After downloadign the file it will be a zip file.
Unzip it then you will see a .iso type file.
Use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
Leave the disk in the cdrom and reboot your system. If done correctly the diagnostic tool will start. Make sure to run the long or advanced test on the drive.

Just to clarify, is that the one you want me to dl?

If your computer system already has a hard drive installed with an operating system of Windows 98SE or greater, you should use the Windows version of Data Lifeguard for best results. The DOS version is required if installing a hard drive in a new system without existing operating system support. If you plan on copying the contents of a boot drive, Western Digital recommends using the DOS version of Data Lifeguard Tool

I already have a Windows V. installed. Please advise, I don't want to dl the wrong one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I understand it says to use the windows version but we need you to do it without being in windows. That way there is no variable of the OS being involved in it to cause a problem.
This is the one you want so that you can make a ISO cd and the system will boot to it and not into windows.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
OK, I'll see if I can stay CONNECTED long enough to dl it. I will still have to use the other link to burn it ? I am just now getting back on. Might have to do this from a computer in town tomorrow. In the meantime, I will run the SFC again, now that I am having issues with my WA.. See if anything shows up now. Thanks! I'll see how long I last now! :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download and burn the cd as instructed on another system. Then take it to your system and run it.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello, I talked to my ISP today, as I kept getting kicked off line yesterday. I did find this error in eventviewer, and also found out "I" am NOT the only one having 'issues' with their WA..

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 1/11/2011
Time: 8:00:33 PM
User: N/A
Computer: *********
Description:
Faulting application dsnetwacore.exe, version 6.0.0.0, faulting module slipaccel.dll, version 6.0.0.0, fault address 0x000060f0.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp. (I didn't see any point of sending this to Microsoft.}
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 64 73 6e ure dsn
0018: 65 74 77 61 63 6f 72 65 etwacore
0020: 2e 65 78 65 20 36 2e 30 .exe 6.0
0028: 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 6e 20 .0.0 in
0030: 73 6c 69 70 61 63 63 65 slipacce
0038: 6c 2e 64 6c 6c 20 36 2e l.dll 6.
0040: 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 74 0.0.0 at
0048: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset
0050: 30 30 30 30 36 30 66 30 000060f0
0058: 0d 0a

I know this software, is outsourced from Canada. So, I am HOPING that they get this issue resolved. No, I am not the only one, so that is good. The issue I am seeing now, is the line should be slipstream.dll and not slipaccel.dll

Do you think I should just wait now and let my ISP take care of this issue, or what should I do now? No, I am not happy with this turn of events, but at least I am not the ONLY one who complained. I will keep you posted, and thanks. I'll be back! :D

Edited by Tee*Cee, 12 January 2011 - 03:11 PM.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
OK, I tried to edit again, and it didn't take. Here is what my ISP sent to me:

That is a very generic error message so pinpointing the solution is out of the question. try updating java and flash player to the latest version. this error can be caused by a multitute of reasons, as in perhaps a windows update, not having the latest version of java and flash, or general windows file corruption, or another program that is conflicting with it that listens to ports 25, 80 and 110.

My Java and Flash are up to date, and now that I know I am NOT the only one with issues with this, what do you think???? I think it is on their end, and yes, I pay for this service. No, I am not happy at this moment, and I did talk to one of them this afternoon, and he said they had OTHERS who were having 'issues' also, even getting booted off line like I was yesterday. I just logged in, so will see how long before they get it corrected. I would like your input, rshaffer61. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets make sure about the java first and that no older versions are causing a security issue.

Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

http://sourceforge.n...ft&words=javara

Java Download Link
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

Advertisements

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Lets make sure about the java first and that no older versions are causing a security issue.

Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder

• * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

http://sourceforge.n...ft&words=javara

Java Download Link
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

Thank you, I will do that now, hopefully, I will stay connected long enough!! I know, that old V. will cause problems, but others are also reporting the same issues. But OK, I will do this first. :D

I will return shortly ;)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This will just make sure there are no older versions left on your system and just in case they are speculating that we are going to take that variable out of the picture.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello, I ran it, and it did find some files, but now wants me to download Java SE JRE 6_23, BUT I already HAVE 6_23.??????????? I got booted off line, right after my last post to you. I am trying. Do I need to download this?

JRE???????

I am SOOOO comfused, because there are actually "3" links there. :D ;) ;)

OK, I am downloading this one:
jre 6u23 windows-i586.exe

I do hope this is the right one. I ran JavaRA. It did find some leftover files from older v. OK. Then, did the CHECK FOR UPDATES.. That is where I am now, so IF I can stay connected long enough, I take it I should update that? It is dl ing now. I WILL be back if I don't get kicked off again!! Thanks, rshaffer61, but I am still ;) , because I already have 6_23. Is this a different PART of Java? It is tough on dial up, for sure.

Edited by Tee*Cee, 12 January 2011 - 05:23 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
JavaRa will get rid of all Java versions and then help you download the newest so that is the only one installed on your system.
Follow the instructions to the end and it will set you up exactly as you need to be.
Other then a issue with the system as far as a infection JavaRa has always been reliable in getting the correct java and the system secure again.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

JavaRa will get rid of all Java versions and then help you download the newest so that is the only one installed on your system.
Follow the instructions to the end and it will set you up exactly as you need to be.
Other then a issue with the system as far as a infection JavaRa has always been reliable in getting the correct java and the system secure again.

Hi, but it didn't remove all, only the old leftover files. I just went to JAVA website, and verified what I am running:

You have the recommended Java installed (Version 6 Update 23).

OK, I am still connected (yeah!) and am downloading the JRE6u23. Is that the SAME as Java 6_23? I just need to know if I need to continue dl ing, thanks, So far, I am still connected.

EDIT: One other ?.... I think it is safe to remove all the old JAVA downloads from my download manager too, wouldn't you say? I mean, no need for them now. I will do that now.

Edited by Tee*Cee, 12 January 2011 - 05:51 PM.