Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I test my HD?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope if you have it don't worry about the download.

I think it is safe to remove all the old JAVA downloads from my download manager too, wouldn't you say? I mean, no need for them now. I will do that now

Yep get rid of any old entries.

Advertisements

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi Again, wish I knew that an hour ago ;) Yup, I downloaded it, and installed it. It told me I already had 6_23, but asked me if I wanted it to reinstall it. I said yes, so here is what is showing in the Check Java Version now:

JAVA SE 6 Update 23

I don't know if this is going to do anything, but will see how long I stay connected now. Thanks, and I will be in touch. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
should not be a problem and i will watch for your next update.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi rshaffer61, THANK YOU , I have not gotten kicked off yet, still connected, and I rebooted too. Will see how long I stay connected. I'll pop in and out, but normally I only get a few minutes, and this is working really nice. SO FAR! I will keep ya posted, if I have any other issues. For now, Will see how this goes. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great to hear and I'm hoping we have finally found the culprit and resolved the issue.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Great to hear and I'm hoping we have finally found the culprit and resolved the issue.

Hi, I will keep you updated, but I'll tell ya, if we did find the culprit, how can others have the same problem, of being kicked offline, and WA shutting down, all on the same ISP? Yes, it boggles my mind too. IF we found it SUPER!! I'll have to find out who the others are, and I do know two. But they don't want to 'bother anyone' so I get to do all the complaining.

I just got connected again, been online for 15 minutes, so far. Will see how this goes. :D

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello rshaffer61, looking good, but I do have another question for you. When I deleted all the extra JAVA from my DL Manager, I also found some extra Adobe Reader and Flash Player. These are all .exe's

Can I safely delete them, or not? I do have the current v. installed, but I am not sure if when an update comes in for Adobe Flash Player & Active X, if it just updates what is here, OR is it a separate .exe altogether?

Here is what I have in my dl manager, in downloaded software:

Adobe Reader 910.exe
Adobe Reader 920.exe
Adobe Reader 930.exe
Adobe Reader 940.exe
Adobe Reader Update 911
Adobe Reader Update 912
Adobe Reader Update 913
Adobe Reader Update 932
Adobe Reader Update 933
Adobe Reader Update 934
Adobe Reader Update 941

Flash Player .exe V. 10.1.53.64
Flash Player .exe V. 10.1.82.76
Flash Player .exe V. 10.1.85.3
Flash Player .exe V. 10.0.42.34

Flash Player Active X V.10.1.53.64
Flash Player Active X V.10.1.82.76
Flash Player Active X V.10.1.85.3
Flash Player Active X V.10.1.102.64
Flash Player Active X V.10.0.42.34

Quicktime Installer.exe V. 7.67.75.0
Quicktime Installer.exe V. 7.65.17.80
Quicktime Installer.exe V. 7.64.17.73
Quicktime Installer.exe V. 7.66.71.0
Quicktime Installer.exe V. 7.68.75.0
Quicktime Installer.exe V. 7.69.80.9

My question is, can I delete all but the current version, or do I need to run a special tool to remove all and re-download fresh? I just don't think I really need all of this, and want to be sure. Also, I thought when these programs updated, they removed the old version, or just installed over the old v. I don't want to mess it up, but then, I don't want all this excess baggage, if I don't NEED it.

I'll do some searching, and see what I can come up with in the meantime. Thanks. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If they are in your download manger yeah you can delete them.
If you want to see if they are on your system go to Add\Remove programs and at the top click the little box that shows updates.
You should be able to safely remove everything but the last update then.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Thanks, I'll do that, but I am still getting kicked off line. I just had to reboot to get back here. I have attached some screen-shots this time. Maybe this will help? no, I don't think we found the problem, but I also think the problem is with my ISP and the WA that I pay them for, as I am getting kicked offline. Ya gotta love dial up, eh?

Event Viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 1/13/2011
Time: 10:53:42 PM
User: N/A
Computer: D87SN5F1
Description:
Faulting application dsnetwacore.exe, version 6.0.0.0, faulting module cx_core.dll, version 6.0.0.0, fault address 0x00004bda.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 64 73 6e ure dsn
0018: 65 74 77 61 63 6f 72 65 etwacore
0020: 2e 65 78 65 20 36 2e 30 .exe 6.0
0028: 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 6e 20 .0.0 in
0030: 63 78 5f 63 6f 72 65 2e cx_core.
0038: 64 6c 6c 20 36 2e 30 2e dll 6.0.
0040: 30 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 0.0 at o
0048: 66 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 ffset 00
0050: 30 30 34 62 64 61 0d 0a 004bda..

[attachment=47162:New WA error 1.JPG]

Edited by Tee*Cee, 13 January 2011 - 10:37 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah I would contact them and ask them about that WA stuff.

Advertisements

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Thanks, I have, and I am getting nowhere, but did manage to send that out tonight, and I also know OTHERS are having issues with it too. You see, I live in Mi. and that WA comes out of Canada. I contact them, and here is the response I get back:

That is a very generic error message so pinpointing the solution is out of the question. try updating java and flash player to the latest version. this error can be caused by a multitute of reasons, as in perhaps a windows update, not having the latest version of java and flash, or general windows file corruption, or another program that is conflicting with it that listens to ports 25, 80 and 110.

Nothing else is using those ports for one, and the other issue I have, is how can ALL of us have Java and Flash issues at the same time? I will call them back tomorrow, as I have gone thru the Java RA and even re-downloaded it. At one point, he had me uninstall the WA and reinstall it. No help there, but honestly now, have you ever seen a generic error?? I will keep you posted, now I would like to check my flash and make SURE I have the correct version, before I talk to them tomorrow.

I have said, and continue to say, it is on the ISP's end, and not mine. Thanks, I will be back! :D

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Thanks, I have, and I am getting nowhere, but did manage to send that out tonight, and I also know OTHERS are having issues with it too. You see, I live in Mi. and that WA comes out of Canada. I contact them, and here is the response I get back:

That is a very generic error message so pinpointing the solution is out of the question. try updating java and flash player to the latest version. this error can be caused by a multitute of reasons, as in perhaps a windows update, not having the latest version of java and flash, or general windows file corruption, or another program that is conflicting with it that listens to ports 25, 80 and 110.

Nothing else is using those ports for one, and the other issue I have, is how can ALL of us have Java and Flash issues at the same time? I will call them back tomorrow, as I have gone thru the Java RA and even re-downloaded it. At one point, he had me uninstall the WA and reinstall it. No help there, but honestly now, have you ever seen a generic error?? I will keep you posted, now I would like to check my flash and make SURE I have the correct version, before I talk to them tomorrow.

I have said, and continue to say, it is on the ISP's end, and not mine. Thanks, I will be back! :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Give them the link to this topic and let them see we have checked everything.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Morning rshaffer61, I will. I did remmove all that other stuff from my dl manager, but ALSO from software downloads, and I am STILL no where ahead. I can still restore it all, and would like to know if you think I need to or just go ahead and delete it? If I can't get back online, I will have Bigtrucks relay for me. Thanks. :D

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
EDIT: OK forgot to say, I did test my Java, and have

Java6_update 23Also,

Adobe Flash :You have version 10,1,102,64 installed
I don't know anything else I can do. :D