Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I test my HD?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I'm confused as to what your download manager really is.
A download manager that I know is only a list of things you have downloaded but does not actually hold anything. It is merely a list of files you have gotten.
Therefore deleting the list does nothing but clear those entries.
FireFox has the same thing when you download something you get a list that pops up with your recent downloads. I clear that list every couple of days but it doesn't clear the programs I downloaded. Those are on my hard drive and I have to uninstall those through Add\Remove Programs or by manually uninstalling each.
Can you please verofy if this is what you are talking about or is there something I am not getting here? :D

Advertisements

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

OK I'm confused as to what your download manager really is.
A download manager that I know is only a list of things you have downloaded but does not actually hold anything. It is merely a list of files you have gotten.
Therefore deleting the list does nothing but clear those entries.
FireFox has the same thing when you download something you get a list that pops up with your recent downloads. I clear that list every couple of days but it doesn't clear the programs I downloaded. Those are on my hard drive and I have to uninstall those through Add\Remove Programs or by manually uninstalling each.
Can you please verofy if this is what you are talking about or is there something I am not getting here? :D

OK, still connnected. I cleared the list in dl manager. Yes. But, also opened the folder to software downloads. Do I need to keep ALL of those entries? I did check my add & remove and only am showing the current version of everything, BUT if I remove all the old entries, am I going to mess up the current one? Are they all connected or added too?

Yes, I cleared the list in dl manager ..

I also went to software downloads. All of those entries were there, so I deleated the old versions. They are now all in recycle bin, but I can still put them back if I need to.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

But, also opened the folder to software downloads. Do I need to keep ALL of those entries?

If they are installed or you don't need the setup files anymore then no you can delete them.

I did check my add & remove and only am showing the current version of everything, BUT if I remove all the old entries, am I going to mess up the current one? Are they all connected or added too?

No the old ones are not connected as the newer ones will normally have everything the older ones had plus the new updates.

I also went to software downloads. All of those entries were there, so I deleated the old versions. They are now all in recycle bin, but I can still put them back if I need to.

If they are no longer needed then clear the recycle bin. They still are on your hd and taking up space.
If you are just not comfortable with this then back them up on a cd or dvd and then delete them.
Just remember since you are getting rid of all this stuff you should really run a defrag when done to straighten up the file system again. Wait till you have everything gone you want gone then run Defrag again.

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Hey Rshaffer,
I'm on the phone with TeeCee and she said she cleared the recycle bin and is now defraging. She hasn't heard back from her ISP yet. She is still getting kicked off.
She said she will let you know when she heres back from them.(or I will)
Regards
BT

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update and I will monitor this topic for her results.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello rshaffer61, just a quick note, I did talk to one there at the ISP this am. He told me I am the only one to have 'issues' and to bring my tower in so they can go thru it.

I don't feel comfortable doing that, because we already went thru it.. So, he told me to uninstall the WA and reinstall it. So, that is what I am going to do, and this will be the second time in two weeks I had to do that, and yes, I use REVO to uninstall.

Any thoughts on this? I still say it is on their end, what do you think? :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would give them the link to this topic and tell them to look at what we have done.
Now short of clearing or flushing the dns and checking for a possible infection I'm not sure what is causing the issue.
Please explain to me exactly what this WA is and I will see if I can find some resolution to it on my own. I myself do not see why a ISP needs your system to fix a issue. I have never heard of any ISP making a request like that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask do you have a or can get access to a XP installation disk to try something?
From what I am finding the WA is the Windows Authorization that may have become corrupted.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

I would give them the link to this topic and tell them to look at what we have done.
Now short of clearing or flushing the dns and checking for a possible infection I'm not sure what is causing the issue.
Please explain to me exactly what this WA is and I will see if I can find some resolution to it on my own. I myself do not see why a ISP needs your system to fix a issue. I have never heard of any ISP making a request like that.

Hi I did give them the link this morning. the WA is the Web Accelerator I BUY form them. It is out of Canada. Here is where I got it from, my ISP:

WebAccelerator Download link

the WA is the Web Accelerator. I have had it for YEARS.. Had issues with it in Nov. But that was resolved, because THEY had to update it on their end.. I agree with you too. I sure would like to know what you think about this, as I don't see the point in uninstalling and reinstalling and getting the SAME errors. It just doesn't make sense to me, and as far as any infections, not very likely, my surfing habits are very minimal, and I am a bugger on keeping things updated.

THANK YOU!

Edited by Tee*Cee, 14 January 2011 - 10:56 AM.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Let me ask do you have a or can get access to a XP installation disk to try something?
From what I am finding the WA is the Windows Authorization that may have become corrupted.

Hi, I have these:

Dell operating system Already installed on your computer
Reinstallation CD
Microsoft Windows XP Prof SP2

Dell Drivers and Utilities

Any help?

EDIT: But what is really weird, is the more I complain, to THEM, the better it is working on my end. That just doesn't make sense. I have been connected now for 42 minutes, and haven't been booted off yet. Why would it do that? ?

Also, wouldn't I be seeing some sort of Blue or Black screen? Nothing like that, and I am still connected 1 hour and 5 minutes. Just seems too weird.

Thanks!

Edited by Tee*Cee, 14 January 2011 - 11:26 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Any help?

Nope a recovery disk will not do what I was thinking about trying. The issue from waht I see is not your OS or your system but a failing or improperly configured web accelorator.

But what is really weird, is the more I complain, to THEM, the better it is working on my end. That just doesn't make sense. I have been connected now for 42 minutes, and haven't been booted off yet. Why would it do that? ?

Apparently they may be finding issues and trying to resolve it from their end. How long have oyu had the WA now?

Also, wouldn't I be seeing some sort of Blue or Black screen? Nothing like that, and I am still connected 1 hour and 5 minutes. Just seems too weird.

Not sure about this question as I don't know what you mean by a blue or black screen. The web accelorator if failing most likely would just stop functioning. From the description though I wouldn't think it has anything to do with being connected but only speeds up your connection once made.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Any help?

Nope a recovery disk will not do what I was thinking about trying. The issue from waht I see is not your OS or your system but a failing or improperly configured web accelorator.

But what is really weird, is the more I complain, to THEM, the better it is working on my end. That just doesn't make sense. I have been connected now for 42 minutes, and haven't been booted off yet. Why would it do that? ?

Apparently they may be finding issues and trying to resolve it from their end. How long have oyu had the WA now?

Not sure about this question as I don't know what you mean by a blue or black screen. The web accelorator if failing most likely would just stop functioning. From the description though I wouldn't think it has anything to do with being connected but only speeds up your connection once made.

Hello! I have had the WA for a few years. I can still uninstall it and reinstall it, if you think that would be a good idea. Yes, I think it is either failing or something on their end, because I haven't been kicked off yet, and been on here 1 hr and 37 minutes.

Yes, when it stops, (fails?) it will give me an error, and then I have to reboot. I cannot open any web pages without it, because it is integraded with both IE and FF.

A total reinstall then, eh?

Well, if THEY are working on it on their end, they are NOT telling me about it, I myself, think a totla reinstall should be done, and again, with REVO. That will make two times in two weeks I have done this. Just seems too weird. I am glad you understand, and it isn't in my head! I know it isn't on my HD! :D

Edited by Tee*Cee, 14 January 2011 - 12:05 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A reinstall would get you back up and running but there again it shows where the issue is and it is not with your system or the OS.
I have to agree with you on this one and it is the WA with the issue. I still say it is failing regardless of what they want to say. Everything else works fine with the system except when you use the WA?
You can use your system with no problems at all all day with no errors but when you use the WA then that is when you start getting the error message?

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

A reinstall would get you back up and running but there again it shows where the issue is and it is not with your system or the OS.
I have to agree with you on this one and it is the WA with the issue. I still say it is failing regardless of what they want to say. Everything else works fine with the system except when you use the WA?
You can use your system with no problems at all all day with no errors but when you use the WA then that is when you start getting the error message?

Hello rshaffer61, I did just that, and did a total uninstall with REVO and rebooted and reinstalled. The WA is on any time I am online. Without it, since it is integrated with my browsers, I cannot surf at all. Now, I am up and running with a fresh install, so will see how this goes.

Yes, I agree with you too, it is or was the WA. I just got connected, so will see how long this lasts. This is the second time in two weeks. Much more, and I will have a kitten. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Much more, and I will have a kitten.

:D
No don't do that as everything we are doing is pointing to the WA as the culprit so I'm just helping you get the proof now to show them,