Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I test my HD?

• Please log in to reply

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
She has none of them. How can she see what's using port 80?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is a complicated set of instructions so instead of trying to explain it I'm going to send you HERE where the steps are printed out one by one. If she follows them exactly it should tell her the programs that are using port 80 and 443 which is what she needs to know.
Let me know if she finds out what it is and then we can stop the other or possibly change the port it is using.

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
avast settings= 8080 for trouble shooting and is using port 80 for updates.
she changed redirect settings for troubleshooting to 120.0.0.1
She has it on auto detect (IE settings) Can she change update proxy settings ?
In advast update settings in proxy settings there's a type, there is a drop dwn box has 2 settings: HTTP(80) or Scocks v4. Should she change this from auto detect using IE settings to direct connection ?

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Also her ISP is telling her that she has to Remove her AV and FW Then go on line to download their program While she has no security and then install it again. That's a little too risky is it not?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
She should be able to disbale Avast temporarily to do what they asked but what is the FW they are telling her to remove?
What program do they want her to download?
She can try the other setting in Avast to see if it will work. I have never had to change the default settings for my ISP so that doesn't make sense to me.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi I have AVAST and PCTools FW. The program he wants me to dl is the WA and to try to find out what is using port 80.

He says something is using Port 80, whaich is my internet connection, and he says some other softweare is also using Port 80.

If I can't find it tonight, I will have to take it in in the am. So far, I have managed to disable MSMGR, and have AVAST disabled for 10 minutes. If AVAST is the culprit, HOW cqan I change the port settings for it, short of totally reomoving it? :D

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
OK, tried to edit, Yes, AVAST is using HTTP, (port 80)

It is using the same port as WA. I used the task manager, Nice!

Now, how do I fix it?

Edited by Tee*Cee, 17 January 2011 - 05:21 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

In advast update settings in proxy settings there's a type, there is a drop dwn box has 2 settings: HTTP(80) or Scocks v4. Should she change this from auto detect using IE settings to direct connection ?

From post 78.
Follow the steps and change it to the other settings Big Trucks mentioned above.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I did all that, except it will not accept the SOCKv4. I did click the DIRECT CONNECTION NO PROXY, so will see how this goes tonight. If it faults out, the tower will have to go to the ISP tomorrow. I have done all I know to find the problem. I know AVAST is also using the same port, but why did it wait until now to show up? I have had this installed since Nov. Makes me really wonder. :D

Was also thinking of changing AV's from AVAST to AVIRA. If nothing else works, might have too. but then again, my dial up is also on Port 80, which is why I cannot have anything else on Port 80. Are we having FUN yet??

Edited by Tee*Cee, 17 January 2011 - 07:28 PM.

nciuro

nciuro

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Western Digital all right!
Check:

http://support.wdc.c...asp?wdc_lang=en

Your Model Number is WD 2500JS

Fill the blank with the model number: Find by Model Number ( ENTER)
Select your product (I believe you said SATA) MOUSE-L-CLICK
Choose WD CAVIAR BLUE
(If you move your cursor over the HD images you ll find your drive model: WD 2500JS popping out of WD CAVIAR BLUE)
Select DATA LIFEGUARD DIAGNOSTIC TOOL FOR WINDOWS
Move Downward and select DOWNLOAD
DO YOU WANT TO OPEN OR SAVE THIS FILE: SAVE and select location (I use desktop to find easily).
Select OPEN when the download is finish.
Select SETUP (Double-Click) (I use winrar to decompres files).
Select (if not choosen already) LAUNCH DATA LIFEGUARD
Select FINISH
Accept License (NEXT)
WESTERN DIGITAL LIFEGUAED DIAGNOSTICS DLGDIAG for WINDOWS will open and you should see all your hard drives. (Includig other non WD-brands).

Instructions are right there: HIGHLIGHT A PHYSICAL DRIVE. CLICK TO RUN TESTS.
or...
RIGHT CLICK FOR MORE OPTIONS.
If you select RIGHT CLICK.....you can run DIAGNOSTIC TOOLS and select QUICK TEST or EXTENDED TEST.

CAAAAARRRRREEEEEFFFFUUUULLL with the option WRITE ZEROS: It returns your hard drive to FACTORY SETTINGS. (Blank)

Good Luck!!!

Advertisements

nciuro

nciuro

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry!!
Looks like I posted my info in the wrong link!!
Newbie malfunction!!!
NCR

nciuro

nciuro

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Check:

Choose WD CAVIAR BLUE
(If you move your cursor over the HD images you ll find your drive model: WD 2500JS popping out of WD CAVIAR BLUE)
DO YOU WANT TO OPEN OR SAVE THIS FILE: SAVE and select location (I use desktop to find easily).
Select FINISH
Accept License (NEXT)
WESTERN DIGITAL LIFEGUAED DIAGNOSTICS DLGDIAG for WINDOWS will open and you should see all your hard drives. (Includig other non WD-brands).

or...
If you select RIGHT CLICK.....you can run DIAGNOSTIC TOOLS and select QUICK TEST or EXTENDED TEST.

CAAAAARRRRREEEEEFFFFUUUULLL with the option WRITE ZEROS: It returns your hard drive to FACTORY SETTINGS. (Blank)

Good Luck!!!

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Check:

Choose WD CAVIAR BLUE
Select FINISH
Accept License (NEXT)

or...

Good Luck!!!

Hi nciuro!! Thanks, but the HD is fine, it is a software issue here. I have software using my dial up port! No problem, I am sure someone will use it. Thanks! :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Doesn't matter what AV you have if they connect to the internet to update they will most likely use port 80.
That is not the issue regardless what they say cause as you said you have had it since November with no problems till now.
Something changed on their side that is causing this. Most likely it's the WA.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Doesn't matter what AV you have if they connect to the internet to update they will most likely use port 80.
That is not the issue regardless what they say cause as you said you have had it since November with no problems till now.
Something changed on their side that is causing this. Most likely it's the WA.

Well, will see I guess, I haven't gotten kicked off yet tonight, but man, I only made a 2 minute connection all day long. The only errors I am getting, are the WA errors, and it is the exact same ones. They told me the only way they could resolve it, is to take my tower in to them. Yes, they are reading this thread, too. Told me today. I don't know what else they can do that we haven't . I am running out of patients, too. Every time I think we have it worked out, it slaps me with anther "faulty application, " the same errors I posted early. Same pix, same error in event viewer. I am just at a total loss now.

Oh, I did do a HJT log, and it is clean. So, I am really at a loss. :D

EDIT: OK, the WA. But that is outsourced from Canada, to us, here in the U.S.

Edited by Tee*Cee, 17 January 2011 - 08:54 PM.