Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I test my HD?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The Wa has to be a dial up thing cause I don't have it on my cable internet. Either way the WA is causing the issue then the ISP has to fix it. Since nothing else has changed and everything played together fine back in November then it has to be something with a update to the WA or something in their software that has changed.

Advertisements

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I'll keep ya posted.

On AVAST!, I did change the connection from "connect using IE settings " to "direct con. no proxy"

and update from Port 80 to 127.0.0.1

Now, am trying to see if this is going to work. Avast did update this am, so that is good. If I don't get an error, then I found the issue. If I do, they will get the tower. Right now, I am in testing mode.

EDIT: OK, I am still connected so far, 1 hour and 40 minutes, with NO issues. Will continue to monitor and see if I found the culprit. So far, no errors, and no disconnections. That has to be a good sign. :D

Edited by Tee*Cee, 18 January 2011 - 09:14 AM.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Still going along pretty good, but I did find out thru the AVAST! Forum, that there are others having the same issues, since the last update to V. 5.1.889

Seems to be an issue with Windows 7 and XP. Just my luck! I am still tweaking it, but thought you might like to see this :

Issues since last update

At least now I know I am not the only one. If they don't come up with a solution, I might have to remove it and go with Avira. I THINK. So far, tho, doing pretty good.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm strange as that is the same version I'm running on XP 64bit Win7 64bit and I'm not having any problems at all.
I wonder if it is just a dialup connection issue then?
I'm happy to hear you still are working though so maybe you are on the right track with everything.
How long has been been working good now as it looks like about 27 hours now.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Hmm strange as that is the same version I'm running on XP 64bit Win7 64bit and I'm not having any problems at all.
I wonder if it is just a dialup connection issue then?
I'm happy to hear you still are working though so maybe you are on the right track with everything.
How long has been been working good now as it looks like about 27 hours now.

I haven't had any issues since I changed settings. However, the AVAST is still using Port 80, no matter what I change it too. Yes, I am still plugging away at it. The 64 bit v. doesn't seem to be bothered, and neither is the Vista. My neighbor has it on her Vista, and NO ISSUES. She also has the WA. That one has had no issues. Only the XP and AVAST. I think I am on the right track now tho, as I am seeing others ALSO on dial up, and mainly with AOL (I don't use AOL myself, but do have dial up)

I will keep ya posted! One way or another, I am going to nail this! :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are doing some great detective work and the fact we finally got it down to the WA being the cause has made the finding of the resolution a lot easier.
I would think if it is working now and holds for 2 days I would say you have got it. I do understand you want to find out why it is happening but IMO you should maybe question the AVAST, Win XP and the port 80 issue.
Maybe ask the Avast people about how to change the port and still get the protection they offer.
Since they are aware of the issue now hopefully they have been working on a resolution on how to assist those like you with dialup and XP.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

You are doing some great detective work and the fact we finally got it down to the WA being the cause has made the finding of the resolution a lot easier.
I would think if it is working now and holds for 2 days I would say you have got it. I do understand you want to find out why it is happening but IMO you should maybe question the AVAST, Win XP and the port 80 issue.
Maybe ask the Avast people about how to change the port and still get the protection they offer.
Since they are aware of the issue now hopefully they have been working on a resolution on how to assist those like you with dialup and XP.

Hello, I did just that, and am waiting for a response. They did e-mail me, and I sent them the info they needed. Now, it is wait. Also, Bigtrucks is having issues with her AVAST. It just quit completely. Seems the latest update is a real bear. I will keep you posted. One thing for sure, it sure does feel good to know I am not 'the only one' :D

Also, if they cannot come up with a fix, I am also thinking of removing AVAST and installing ALVIRA.. Still in the thought stage. Surely there has GOT to be an AV that is dial up friendly!

Edited by Tee*Cee, 19 January 2011 - 12:24 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Avira is the other one a lot of us recommend so hopefully if it comes down to it you can switch with no problem.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Avira is the other one a lot of us recommend so hopefully if it comes down to it you can switch with no problem.

Yes, I am just getting my ducks in a row here. If I do, I have REVO to remove AVAST.. I sure did like that program, too, but gee, gotta get one that is dial up friendly. Now, Bigtrucks is not on dial up, and hers just quit completely. I am going to look at Avira, and see what the system requirements are, and what it is all about. Thanks.

Will let ya know what I end up doing. :D

Well, just took a look at Avira. OK, AVIRA has a lot of pop ups. I didn't care for that. ;)

The last update with AVAST has messed up lots of computers. Including, mine. I did get an e-mail form AVAST telling me my 'issues' were with AOL ;) I don't have AOL, I don't use AOL. So, I removed AVAST and installed PANDA. Doing great ;)

So, Iam back up and running again. :(

Edited by Tee*Cee, 20 January 2011 - 05:54 PM.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Morning, now I have other issues, I removed the AVAST, yes, and did maintenance, and I am finding that FF has one site that is NOT working right. Any chance that I might have corrupted files now, by removing AVAST?? All other site load and work fine, but one. I cannot post in it at all. My Favorite I go there every day, and now I can't post at all. I get this error on my pages:

Sorry - an error occured

Back to Home Page

Very strange, and I am stumped! TIA! :D

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm strange it went right on for me when I clicked the link. In fact I use the same page HERE

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
The site shows fine, I just can't post gas prices or in the forum. I know it is weird.

When I click post a reply or post gas prices, I get this:

Sorry - an error occured

Back to Home Page

It sure does seem like a site problem to me. because all other sites are working just fine.

Edited by Tee*Cee, 21 January 2011 - 11:17 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm now that part I can't say as I have never posted to it. It could be a issue on their side and the only way to tell is try posting from a different system.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Yes, I have notified them, and others have also seen the errors. From Canada to Michigan, so must be on their server. I do know they are working on it. Just would sure like to get my points for my gas prices!!! Have you ever bought tickets? Yes, they DO give away $250 in gas cards!! Whoo-Hoo!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Mo I never have and since I get out of my house about once every month or month and a half I don't think I would be much help. :D