Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot problem on Emachine.

• Please log in to reply

BloodScribe

BloodScribe

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi guys how are you today?

I left my computer on as I always do, about three weeks ago. When I woke up the next day, the screen was black and I could not get the desktop to appear I moved the mouse clicked a few keys, so I pressed the power button to get it to restart. When it came up it said Windows did not start successfully so I just chose the option to start normally. About half way through the windows loading process my comp restarted it self and went bak to the same screen about windows not starting successfully. I read this entire page and decided it might be a power failure and went ahead today and replaced my 300w PSU with a 350w PSU. The PSUs are as follows: NEW- Antec Basiq 350w Atx12v v2.01 OLD- Bestec Atx-300-12e 300w. Sadly, I cant get the computer on windows so I cant get too much more info regarding the specs of the computer I know a chunk of the info but not much. My question is, Did I perhaps do something wrong with the PSUs, maybe not compatible, or maybe theres something else wrong with a piece of hardware.

PS-When I intially took out the old PSU I opened it up and it looked like something has melted inside, there was this yellow dry looking compound not sure what it is but it was very dry and the board in the PSU was yellow so...

Thanks again and cant wait for your replies.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi BloodScribe,

I cant get the computer on windows

Does this mean the computer powers up but Windows doesn`t load?

My question is, Did I perhaps do something wrong with the PSUs,

We may be able to answer this question when we know the answer to the question above.

or maybe theres something else wrong with a piece of hardware.

If the original PSU has failed it could have taken any number of other components with
it including the MB, CPU, Ram, HDD etc but hopefully not.

PS-When I initially took out the old PSU I opened it up and it looked like something has melted inside, there was this yellow dry looking compound not sure what it is but it was very dry and the board in the PSU was yellow so...

There are no user serviceable parts inside a PSU and only a suitably qualified person should open one up.
The symptoms you initially describe may suggest a failing/failed PSU or HDD or the OS becoming corrupt.
Your computer specs can be found at the attached link http://www.emachines...ies&model=T6520

BloodScribe

BloodScribe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
The computers turns on but Windows dosent load it reboots in the middle of trying to load.

So it could have taken any number of other components with it? So what should I do?

I see the page with the specs on my machine thanks for getting it Phill, Um I did install a new video card an Visiontek Ati Raedon x1300 the PSU and two sticks of Ram.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The computers turns on but Windows dosent load it reboots in the middle of trying to load

Good chance it is the HDD or OS then.
Do you have data on the HDD that you do not want to lose and do you have the XP or Recovery disk/s that were supplied with the computer?
When we know the answers to the above we can make the appropriate suggestions, this may include attempting to retrieve the data off the HDD using a HDD enclosure as one option and a Repair Installation of the OS if it has become damaged or corrupt.

BloodScribe

BloodScribe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
As far as Im concerned Lets do the most simple task first. I dont have anything on the HD Id care to lose, however I do not have the boot disks. So now what?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
What ever happens you are going to need a copy of XP and + the 25 digit product key unless you upgrade to Vista or Windows 7 for example.
If the OS is damaged or corrupt you need a boot disk, if the HDD has died and you have to replace it you need a boot disk.
Can you loan a version of XP that is the same as yours, XP home will work with Xp home, XP Pro will work with XP home but not the other way around, this is because XP home has not got all of the features that XP Pro has.