Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bought new 30" Dell Monitor.. can't get max resolution

• Please log in to reply

dgessler

dgessler

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys,

We bought the Dell U3011, which has a max resolution of 2560x1600 (its inputs are twin DVI ports, 2 HDMI ports, DisplayPort, Component Video). Apparently there are two ways to get this max resolution: DisplayPort or Dual Link DVI-D.

Can someone tell me if there is ANY way we can still use the max resolution on this laptop: HP Envy 15. The only port is has is HDMI and eSATA (no DVI even). The video card in the computer is an ATI Mobility Radeon 5830, you can view the specs here:
http://www.amd.com/u....830-specs.aspx

In the specs it says DisplayPort is supported on the GPU, but there's no jack for it on the laptop.

Any hope??

Thanks so much!
Dan

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
According to the product specs, the notebook's maximum resolution is 1920x1080 - confirmed by your manual on page 36.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Just what ports are supplied on a laptop is down to the laptop manufacturer - they are not duty-bound to fit all necessary inputs/outputs that the mobility chip supports, and of course, it depends on which particular laptop model you buy in some cases. Pay more and you often get more connectivity options.

Your link takes me nowhere but I found the full spec-sheet for the Mobility 5830 chip elsewhere. It seems you need a DVI or DisplayPort output to get the res up to 2560x1600 for an external monitor. Seems you'll have to use the HDMI port, but that will only give you a max res of 1920x1200 according to the spec sheet here: http://www.amd.com/u...5830-specs.aspx

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 11 January 2011 - 08:33 AM.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
"According to the product specs, the notebook's maximum resolution is 1920x1080 - confirmed by your manual on page 36".

The OP was referring to the use of an external monitor on it, not the res of the laptop screen.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

The OP was referring to the use of an external monitor on it, not the res of the laptop screen.

:D Ummm, I realize that. I did not mention anything about the laptop screen or it's resolution. Note I said "notebook's resolution" and I provided a link to his manual specifically referencing page 36. If you checked, you would have seen page 36 addresses "external" monitors and the maximum resolution the notebook's adapter supports, which, again, is 1920 x 1080.