Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My first build

• Please log in to reply

MacheteMan

MacheteMan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey there everyone.
I recently decided I want to build myself a computer. My main focus is gaming. I spent several days reading on brighthub.com and this site, learning about what makes up a computer and how it all works. I feel confident enough that I compiled what I think would fit my needs.

Again my main focus is for gaming.
My budget is ~$800

My current layout is:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 LGA 1156 ATX

CPU: Intel i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz Dual Core
(correct me if I'm wrong but I am under the impression that this CPU becomes a virtual quad-core through Hyper-Threading)

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1066 (2x4GB)
(it will be dual channel)

Graphics: GeForce GTX 465 1GB GDDR5 Superclocked EVGA
(not sure what the superclocked means so if someone could explain that would be great)

HD: Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM WD10EVDS

Power: CoolMax CUL-750B 750w ATX 12v

Optic: ASUS Bulk Black DVD/RW CD/RW etc...

Case: Rosewill Smart One ATX Mid Tower w/3 fans
(I got this one because it has 3 120mm fans already in the case and its only $55. If the fans are useless let me know, it seems like to good of a price for it)

I also want to get another heat sink(Arctic Silver 5) because all the reviews say the stock one sucks.
All together my current layout is about $790 after mail-in rebates.

So what do you think? Please feel free to speak your mind! I am trying to learn. Also anything that reduce the overall cost without reducing quality by too much would be GREATLY appreciated.

Edited by MacheteMan, 10 January 2011 - 11:28 PM.

Advertisements

MacheteMan

MacheteMan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Another note:
I don't plan on Overclocking so would what I have be sufficient for cooling the system?

I really look forward to all your responses, I don't want to order the parts if there is a better alternative to any of them.