Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant Boot Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Masheded

Masheded

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I have a HP mini 110-3000 which wont boot windows. My friend brought it round as im usually quite good with computers, but im baffled. He says he was listening to his music and it re started. Now it just sticks with a black screen and a cursor flashing in the top right corner. Its runnig on windows 7 starter and is 8 weeks old. I can enter the bios/sys recovery menu, and can boot quickweb, but when it trys to boot win7 under any circumstances it just freezes. Im begining to think its a hardware failure (ie diskdrive) as it dosnt seem to make any noise but everything else runs fine. Ive checked the error log on bios and there is no data to display. I have run all the self diagnostic checks for the hardware on bios, and it states everything has passed and is OK. Can i repair windows 7 using quick web, and can i plug in a usb dongle to connect to the net if so? Ive also tried booting without a battery and loading default bios settings, to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so at least i have somthing to tell him.

Many thanks
Mike

Advertisements

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I looked up you computer and see that it's a Netbook, so it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. If you have a external CD/DVD drive, you can boot to the Windows 7 DVD and repair your computer. (Boot to the DVD, after windows starts, select you language, and when you get Install now screen click repair my computer at the bottom). If you don't have an external DVD drive you can use a thumb drive and boot into it. To use a thumb drive you will need to go to another computer and make the thumb drive bootable and transfer the windows installation files to the thumb drive.

Here is how to make a thumb drive bootable:1. Insert your USB (4GB+ preferable) stick to the system and backup all the data from the USB as we are going to format the USB to make it as bootable.

2. Open elevated Command Prompt. To do this, type in CMD in Start menu search field and hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter. Alternatively, navigate to Start > All programs >Accessories > right click on Command Prompt and select run as administrator.

3. When the Command Prompt opens, enter the following command:

DISKPART and hit enter.

LIST DISK and hit enter.

Once you enter the LIST DISK command, it will show the disk number of your USB drive. In the below image my USB drive disk no is Disk 1.

4. In this step you need to enter all the below commands one by one and hit enter. As these commands are self explanatory, you can easily guess what these commands do.

SELECT DISK 1 (Replace DISK 1 with your disk number)

CLEAN

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

SELECT PARTITION 1

ACTIVE

FORMAT FS=NTFS

(Format process may take few seconds)

ASSIGN

EXIT

Posted Image

Don’t close the command prompt as we need to execute one more command at the next step. Just minimize it.

5. Insert your Windows DVD in the optical drive and note down the drive letter of the optical drive and USB media. Here I use “D” as my optical (DVD) drive letter and “H” as my USB drive letter.

6. Go back to command prompt and execute the following commands:

D:CD BOOT and hit enter. Where “D” is your DVD drive letter.

CD BOOT and hit enter to see the below message.

BOOTSECT.EXE/NT60 H:

(Where “H” is your USB drive letter)

Posted Image

7. Copy Windows DVD contents to USB.

You are done with your bootable USB. You can now use this bootable USB as bootable DVD on any computer that comes with USB boot feature (most of the current motherboards support this feature).

Masheded

Masheded

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I dont have access to a 4gb usb drive, so im on that now. Ill let you know howi get on. Watch this space.

xrafboyx

xrafboyx

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
its a long long story but basically the above has been done to my sons laptop , well all but

Don’t close the command prompt as we need to execute one more command at the next step. Just minimize it.

5. Insert your Windows DVD in the optical drive and note down the drive letter of the optical drive and USB media. Here I use “D” as my optical (DVD) drive letter and “H” as my USB drive letter.

6. Go back to command prompt and execute the following commands:

D:CD BOOT and hit enter. Where “D” is your DVD drive letter.

CD BOOT and hit enter to see the below message.

BOOTSECT.EXE/NT60 H:

(Where “H” is your USB drive letter)

now his laptop is saying bootmgr is missing.

is there anyway back from this ? Anyhelp is apprieciated =)