Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

advast

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i am in the middle of running the norton removal tool. i was wondering if advast is the best thing going. i friend on this sight told me that norton was a system hog so i want to get rid of it. my contract is about to expire

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree and as far as Avast it really depends on who answers. I myself have been using Avast for 2 years and like it a lot.
Below is my canned speech on it.
Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:

It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I agree and as far as Avast it really depends on who answers. I myself have been using Avast for 2 years and like it a lot.
Below is my canned speech on it.
Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:

It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

when i said a friend on this sight i was talking about you. thank for all your help in the past and thanks for your opinion. norton is now gone an advast is now running as it should. thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and thank you for the compliment.
Make sure you register it and every year there after.
I hope it works as well for you as it does for me.
BTW don't get to shaken when the little voice pops up and says your virus definitions have been updated. ;) ;) ;) :D

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
no problem. it is registered. i have had it on the old computer that you helped me install the harddrive and xp on. that old notebook is still running very good.
i was installing advast on the newest notebook.
advast is running now and it is registered too.
i like the voice too. thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and I am glad I could help you again. :D

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i get the message since i have installed advast. is this something to worry about?

Edited by 40vern, 12 January 2011 - 12:40 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope it just means your email is secured and it is not able to check your incoming emails. If you want it to be able to check them then follow the instructions it gives and it will make sure your emails are safe to open.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok but i am not sure i know how to disable ssl/tls or what ever it said to disable. do you know how to do this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It will be located in your email client be that Outlook, Thunderbird, Gmail or whom ever you use.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok i see. i use windows live mail. i was wondering how i can do this? i dont want to try without instructions because this is not covered with my tech support with my internet provider. at one time you could call them with outlook express now they want to charge you a fee for support.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I personally would not disable it since your email client may require ssl to work correctly.
I would Leave it alone as it is not a needed step.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
well since you have always given the best advice then this is what i will do. thanks this is what i wanted to hear. thanks agian.

Edited by 40vern, 14 January 2011 - 06:02 AM.