Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound problems

• Please log in to reply

alnoth

alnoth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
no yellow marks, all drivers are ok, supposedly.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Could there be a fix for this in XP SP3.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Possibly Phillpower and good catch. I missed the SP version.
Alnoth have you tried updating your SP from 2 to 3?

nciuro

nciuro

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Did you check your speakers in another computer to make shure they are working properly? (plug or wire problems)
Did you play a cd or any music with WindowsMP to make sure the devices are detecting the sound steam(strobe)?

I had the same problem with a MSI SLI mobo.
I did the bios and devices upgrades.
The speakers were working fine but WMP did not detect any sound.

Finally...I had to get another sound card.
I installed a sound card from another computer which I knew it was working fine. Has been working perfectly since then. (2 yrs)
Had to disable the audio chip in the mobo through the bios settings before installing the sound card.

I concluded that the audio chip connection was defective, though the mobo was brand new.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sound chip is always a possibility since the drivers show good but no sound device showing in audio properties.
Just may have failed and nothing will resolve it then. The cost of a good descent SC is so low now it is possible to egt even a better one then what was installed on the MOBO.

alnoth

alnoth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i didnt try the speakers in a different comp, but when i plug them into the microphone jack slot, they make the cracking noises, also, they are "buzzing" slightly when i turn them on (cause i cranked the volume up). so they should be working. besides, i have tried to plug brand new earphones into the output jack on the mobo (not the speaker output jack for headphones) and they also make no sound.

ok, i will think it is the chip gone dead... :D i am just surprised that this is the way it should go - no notice, no software check saying the device is not responding, just simply no sound and thats it, hmm...

i am going to start a new thread concerning my BIOS entering problems and leave this one open for the odd-chance that someone might get an idea between now and the moment i actually go and buy a soundcard.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i have tried to plug brand new earphones into the output jack on the mobo (not the speaker output jack for headphones) and they also make no sound.

Good indication of a sound card failure.
Check HERE for a good starting point on Sound Cards.

nciuro

nciuro

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
17 jan 2010

Check the Win SP3 update just in case you have remove windows files. (I suspect that happend to me).
I use the network version because (I suspect) includes more drivers. But the single computer version should do fine.
This installation takes a while.
After restart, check Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager.
Open (Check) Sound Video Game Controler and System Devices
If you found any (!) in this areas try to install the drivers require.
If drivers dont upload (in my case I try to update the driver and windows told me the drivers were not found, even when I select the drivers myself), the
probability is the chip is fried.

Shut down and restart and go to the bios to disable the audio chip and shut down again.
Install another card that you know is working properly.
Turn on and windows shuold tell you: FOUND NEW HARDWARE.

Remember that some cards require the drivers to be installed before the card. Others requires windows to identify a new device and THEN you select DONT INSTALL DRIVERS AUTOMATICALLY, I WILL SELECT LOCATION...

This should solve your problem (even if the problem is not your audio chip) because you will be updating windows files (and replacing those missing) and windows will be loking for sound coming from a diferent (device) location.

Please let us know if the problem is solve.
Im a newbie here but Im glad to help.

NCR