Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to prevent condensation damage?

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Or contact K&N filters and see if they have higher quality filters to use.

I've never seen that before, gonna check it out. I wonder what it is like on the back for all the cables, filtered there too? And what about a place to exhaust hot air - filtered too?

*Troy toodles off to inspect...

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://www.knfilters...ws.aspx?ID=3099

Wow that is fascinating! Some good reading there guys, clicky-clicky!

Badedyret

Badedyret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Very interesting indeed!

A shame they don't ship to Australia yet, but still rather pricy! According to their homepage they charge around 350 US$ for a custom built enclosure.

I wonder if it's possible to build one yourself? After all it looks like you just need an acrylic fish tank turned upside down and a 7 inch K&N filter and a fan capable of producing 81 CFM of air flow, plus a few minor things from Bunnings Warehouse, hehe.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could also get a mini fridge and mount the PC inside of it. then you don't have to AC the whole room, just a sealed mini fridge in the corner that has the PC inside. with a little fancy modification you could still have all your peripheral devices outside of the main case (mini fridge) while keeping the fridge completely sealed which would prevent condensation. you could go COMPLETLEY nuts and make the mini fridge completely air tight, then suck all the air out and replace it with nitrogen.

Badedyret

Badedyret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
While the idea is interesting, I think it might be a one-way ticket to condensation and computer breakdown. If there's even the slightest leak in the modified mini-fridge condensation is sure to happen, and I can't keep my computer totally closed up in an air-tight space constantly, since ever so often I still need to mount CD's, USB dongles etc.

But the biggest problem is that refrigerators (let alone mini-fridges) are not designed to cool down objects that continually give off heat. The heat that's created by a workstation at 100% at all four cores, will greatly outweigh the cooling effects of a mini-fridge, and since the thing needs to be airtight in order to prevent condensation you'll soon run out of cool air to keep internal PC temps down.

But keeping my computer cool is not a problem. The Antec P183 with it's standard fans is amazing at cooling down the PC and I've never had any temperature alerts despite I run all four cores at 100% almost 24/7.

jsig000

jsig000

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Thanks for the info.

Last week I had to take my 6-month old MacBook Pro in for repair. ($1400! worth)

They found water damage. 

Since there were no spills, I'm guessing this was from condensation.

I work with my computer outside in both cold winters and hot summers. 

I'm guessing that when I bring the computer inside from the cold, condensation forms in the housing. 

Is there any way to prevent this, or at least slow up the formation of condensation? 

I've been working with the computer next to a space heater.  

I've also invested in a typing cover that covers up any holes around keys on the keyboard.

Other than that, do you have any suggestions?