Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having trouble to connect to the iTunes Store

• Please log in to reply

fyr_girl87

fyr_girl87

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
The last time I used my iTunes 7 was probably a year ago since my iPod gave up on me. Now that I have gotten the new iTouch, I've been trying to upgrade to Itunes 10 so I can start adding "stuff" to it. But before I even attempted to upgrade to the new iTunes 10, I realized something odd going on in my iTunes 7. I tried to open the iTunes store and this error message appeared, iTunes could not connect to the iTunes Store. The network connection was refused Since that appeared I checked my network connection settings and everything seems to be correct. I'm also able to go online to browse the web. Since I knew there was no internet problems I decided to not lose a chance and Download the new iTunes 10. Unfortunately, the downloading iTunes 10 was not successful because an error appeared on my screen, could not access network location.

I have a Windows XP and Norton Anti Virus 2011 with Antispyware.

Please, I need help in fixing this problem. Its frustrating to not be able to use my iTunes with my iTouch.

In regards,

Charlene

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Hello fyr_girl87. Please follow these instructions to run the iTunes Diagnostics. Once completed, click on the "Copy to clipboard" button and paste the results in your next reply.

fyr_girl87

fyr_girl87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AWARD_ AWRDACPI
iTunes 7.3.1.3

Current user is an administrator.

Network Adapter Information

Adapter Name: {37785957-A92E-41E2-A683-666E165EAA61}
Description: SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter #5 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
IP Address: 192.168.2.4
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server: 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained: Fri Jan 14 11:46:30 2011

Lease Expires: Mon Jan 18 19:14:07 2038

DNS Servers: 192.168.2.1

Network Connection Information

Active Connection: LAN Connection
Connected: Yes
Online: Yes
Using Modem: No
Using LAN: Yes
Using Proxy: Yes
HTTP Proxy: 127.0.0.1:5643
SSL 3.0 Support: Enabled
TLS 1.0 Support: Disabled

Firewall Information

Windows Firewall is on.
iTunes is enabled in Windows Firewall.

Connection attempt to Apple web site was unsuccessful.
The network connection was refused.
Connection attempt to iTunes Store was unsuccessful.
Secure connection attempt to iTunes Store was unsuccessful.
An unknown error occurred (-9812).

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Are you using an internet proxy connection for a reason?

If you aren't, please download HostsXpert and save to a location you remember, such as your desktop. Double click on the .ZIP file, chose "Extract all files" on the left side of the page and then follow the prompts to extract the files. Once the extracted files appear, double click on the HostsXpert application and then choose Run.

When the program loads, click the button on the left side of the screen that says "Restore MS Hosts File", then click "OK". You can now close the program. Then try your connection to the iTunes store again. If that doesn't allow you to connect, please re-run the network diagnostics again and post the results.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 14 January 2011 - 02:54 PM.

fyr_girl87

fyr_girl87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I don't really know munch about networks and connections. How would I know if I'm using an internet proxy connection?

fyr_girl87

fyr_girl87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I followed all your steps and it still didn't work. Here are the Diagnostics.

AWARD_ AWRDACPI
iTunes 7.3.1.3

Description: SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter #5 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Lease Obtained: Fri Jan 14 14:14:52 2011

TLS 1.0 Support: Disabled

Firewall Information

Windows Firewall is on.

Connection attempt to Apple web site was unsuccessful.
Connection attempt to iTunes Store was unsuccessful.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

I'm pretty sure this is your problem right here. A proxy server acts as an intermediary between your computer and the computer you are trying to access over the internet. Proxy servers are normally used to remain anonymous on the internet, bypass parental controls and to bypass region controls.

Lets try something else. Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools -> Internet Options and click on the Connections Tab. You should see a button near the bottom that says "LAN Settings". Click on that button then delete the entry in the address box and remove the check mark in the box that says "Use a Proxy Server for your LAN". Then press OK two times. After that, try the instructions from my previous post again.

Then attempt your connection.

fyr_girl87

fyr_girl87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
That was part of the problem. Now I'm able to go on my iTunes Store but for some reason it didn't let me log in to my iTunes account. I tried to upgrade to iTunes 10 and it still was unsuccessful. could not access network location appeared after I tried the upgrade. :D Here are the Diagnostics:

AWARD_ AWRDACPI
iTunes 7.3.1.3

Lease Obtained: Wed Jan 19 18:08:57 2011

Using Proxy: No
TLS 1.0 Support: Enabled

Firewall Information

Windows Firewall is on.

Connection attempt to Apple web site was successful.
Connection attempt to iTunes Store was successful.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
If you didn't set up the proxy manually, I'm a little concerned as to how that was set. Would you be able to post in the Malware Removal section and have them take a look at your computer. I'm just guessing that some type of infection changed your proxy settings. Once we rule that out, we can continue here. Please read and complete the Malware Removal Guide prior to posting in the forums.

Additionally, please provide the expert helping you with a link to this thread so they can see what we have done. It might also be a good idea to let them know that your computer was set up to use a proxy server without your knowledge. One other thing, if you can, please post a link here to your Malware removal topic so I can follow along.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 20 January 2011 - 01:32 PM.

fyr_girl87

fyr_girl87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well last year around Summer I started to get pop-ups (after I downloaded music) and didn't allow me to browse the web(I use Mozilla Firefox). It was really rare because I have never had pop-ups before. So I did my research and I found a free download software (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware). This software did a great job in removing the pop-ups and allowed me to access the web, so I haven't uninstalled it from my computer. But once having Malwarebytes installed I noticed that my computer began to run a little bit slower.

What was a bit ironic was that I've had this PC tower since 2003 and I have never had Anti-virus on it. I've never had a problem with pop-ups until the Summer of last year. Ever since then I installed Norton Anti-Virus.

On the other hand, I will followed the instructions that you provided. Here is the link to my Malware thread so you can follow:

My Malware thread

I really appreciate your assistance.

Thank you!

fyr_girl87

Edited by fyr_girl87, 23 January 2011 - 01:54 AM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
They will be able to get you all fixed up. Once you are all finished, please let me know if you are able to connect. if not, at least we know there isn't anything malicious interfering with our attempts to fix the problem.

fyr_girl87

fyr_girl87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello Spyderturbo, well I did get some help but nothing seemed to be resolved. Results were that my computer did not have any Malware. I still tried to upgade my itunes after the whole process and it still wasn't a success. What are other options?

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Hi fyr_girl87. Sorry for the delay, but I've been traveling for work and haven't had time to visit the site for awhile. Anyway, now that we know your system is clean, please re-run the iTunes Network Diagnostics and post up the results.