Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pci USB 2.0 trouble

• Please log in to reply

roswell47

roswell47

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok I have an older pc so I Purchased a pci USB 2.0 to upgrade. When I look in the hardware section it says it's there and running properly but when I plug things in (iPod, camera, etc.) nothing comes up for the devices. Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You may need to update the drivers for it, if it came with a cd with drivers on it look for the drivers on it, if none came with it look on the box (if a new card) if it is compatible with your OS (if using W98), i know that with XP you needed at least to have SP1 installed to be able to make a USB 2.0 pci card to work.

Also when you look in the device manager you need to see USB ENHANCED HOST CONTROLLER if you want it to work

roswell47

roswell47

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok I got it to SOMETIMES detect my iPod but I can't access the iPod itself in iTunes or through 'my computer' I don't really get it. It does say USB enhanced host controller. And when i plug things into the old USB ports it tells me to plug the device into the new ones because they are high speed but they're not acting normal. Please help.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I would try to put your USB 2 PCI card into another (the farthest from video card) pci slot (if any free) and see if you have the same problems