Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tons of acting up after google redirect fix/loads of various error mes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hey,

I tried it already, and am trying again. It freezes up during Phase 4 of the check, the progress bar never fills in. I might have been impatient last time and just re-set my computer, for now I'll leave it (it's only been 5 mins) and see if it gets through it on its own!

Thanks as always!

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Lets hope it passes the check disc

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Still no progress on the bar, I'm assuming it's not going to let it do it!
Is there another way to run the check disk that would be worth trying?
Other files on the external drive I was able to copy no problem, just not the two backup files I created in the past two days.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Sounds like there is a problem sector or two with the disc, is there anything really important on that backup. If so I will see if there is a way to recover it

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I have some of my files backed up from September on the same hard drive that work, and one from early December of only my school work. I also have all of my music and pictures from previous backup.
But there are some important files created in the past few weeks that were on this 'new' backup that I had created. I wish I could extract just them, because I don't really need all of the others. I just finished some important papers for school that I have already submitted, but I will want to keep forever, and submit them elsewhere, etc. Is there are way to only seek out certain documents so that it is less work for us? Basically lots of things are duplicates on these backup files, but some of it I have nowhere else.

I really appreciate your help!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets see if we can do it incrementally

Start the restore wizard but rather than go for a full restore select the restore wizard advanced - this may enable you to extract specific files

There is a step by step guide here

Let me know how you get on :D

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hadn't even thought of that. Let's see how it goes!
*phew* that worked. Awesome!!
I'm going to try and transfer my network settings now, cos otherwise I'll need to reset our modem and make new passwords!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

*phew* that worked.

Couldn't have said it better myself :D

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I had created a separate file called "System State" that was supposed to save all my preferences, and it isn't working. Any chance it would be somewhere in my 'main' backup folder when I had juts clicked "backup all my files and folders"? I don't see it, but then again I wouldn't know where to look!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It could be within documents and settings

Advertisements

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
haha. This is just great. My computer hates me.
So I tried to restore that "System State" file I had just once more before giving up. Of course, it messed up again. I looked at the detailed results, and it wsaid it skipped the bad files, which was only 1 out of 299 or something. And there was a warning about how Windows might not work right because it was missing some files. It needed to restart to set everything up.
Now, when I reboot, I get this error on the deskptop (though I can't see the desktop)
"Windows explorer has encountered a problem and must be shut down". When I click close, I just have my background and nothing else.

Does this mean I should never have tried to copy those system settings?? Maybe they were screwed up in the first place? Maybe I should re-install windows?? haha

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Go to safe mode and system restore to just prior to that point

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
You're so awesome for helping with this.

Wow, hadn't even thought of trying safe mode and system restore. Unfortunately, same error in safe mode. Wow, this is just getting worse!
Just for fun, I'm going to try "last known configuration"!
Ahhh, now wasn't that fun. Me and my computer are really in love these days.

(*?/$(/*&?$("*&/$"

(you can guess the outcome)
Fresh install of a fresh install?

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
So I've re-installed, everything went smoothly, got to the desktop and started fixing up the shortcuts etc, and already I've gotten two blue screens of death, same as before.
Do you think this could actually be a hardware problem? Like a physical problem with my computer?
I think it's messing with my backup files too because now I can't see certain folders on it that we successfully transferred today!
What a nightmare...

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
If you think we should move this to a different forum/I should start a new topic maybe with someone in the hardware or Windows XP section, let me know!

Edited by maximem, 17 January 2011 - 08:30 AM.