Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Audio Device not detected

• Please log in to reply

nciuro

nciuro

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi guys. Im new here and need help to restore my Microsoft High Definitions Audio Drivers.

I installed 2 EVGA GeForce GTS450 SLI cards on my SLI mobo.
I use WIN XP 2002 SP3
Quad Core Intel 2.2 mhz
EVGA 790i mobo
Had been using 2 GeForce 9800 GT cards
Video Cards previously connected with a DVI to DVI cable.
I used the 450GTS with the DVI connector for a while and had no problems.
One week after I changed the connector to a mini HDMI and when I did a restart,
windows asked for new drivers for a new PCI device.
After inserting the GTS450 CD, Windows recognized new High Definition Audio Drvers.

After using the computer for about a week, I started to hear an intermitent loud distortion on the audio.
I decided to updated the audio drivers and got the latest Microsoft High Definition Audio drivers.
Since the new drivers did not solve the distortion problem I uninstalled them.

Now I cant detect any Audio Device. First I received a messege dls.dll missing.
I installed a Creative External card and after detecting the device the first time I turned up the computer, I didnt had any sound. Now I cant detect any Audio Device at all.

When I open Audio programs I get this messages:
iTunes:
iTunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration.
Audio/Video playback may not operate properly.

WINAMP:
Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. Error Code 88780078.

Finally I did a System restore but is from a week erlier and my problem is two weeks older.

I try all the updates for the video card and for windows. Havent try a bios update yet. I tried to re-install the audio drivers and the directsound drives but Windows did not allow the updated because they are older than the ones installed.

I already did a backup of drive C: just in case I need a FORMAT.
Im planning to do a Windows restore to get all the windows original files (WIN XP SP2).
Im worried because I have some custom made programs that I need them to stay working.
Should I be able to reinstall all my programs and maintain the previous settings after doing the Windows reinstall?

I never done this but I read two guides on HOW TO DO this. They dont say if I will loose all my desktop icons and the programs funtionality.

I will appreciate any advise.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://michaelsteven...pairinstall.htm

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Here is the excellent guide from GeekstoGo on a repair install
http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

I would urge caution - although in essence, it should leave your personal data and programs intact and ONLY reinstall Windows THIS is NEVER
guaranteed.

Personally, my first attempt at solution would be to check if those GTS450 cards can definitely run on that motherboard and processor, I do not know these cards requirements, compared with the previous. Have you checked the PSU requirement.

ARE you manually selecting that driver and installing. Windows automatic driver install has never been 100% reliable.
AdditionallyI have checked that graphics on the EVGA site and unless I am mistaken, their offered driver is for 7 and Vista - albeit that XP 32 bit and 64 bit is listed in the O/S, it then offers the same driver as it does for 7 and vista. In the PDF of that driver it makes no mention of suitability for XP.

What I did Notice was that under load it power requirement is 400 watt - actually 362 watt.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 January 2011 - 02:28 PM.

nciuro

nciuro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the link and your help. In fact, I printed the instructions in case I needed them.
I just finish fixing the problem. Check the follow up if interested.
NCR
P.D. Your avatar is fantastic!!!

nciuro

nciuro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks SpywareDr and Macboatmaster.
Spy, the link help me to think twice!!! if I should consider going directly into a Windows re-install or spend more time trying to fix the problem any other way.
Mac...I could not find any waranty from Microsoft concerning my doubts. Your advice made me think twice. Thank You.

I copy the instructions from another Adviser and try to rectify my windows installation but nothing happened. He was replying to someone else concerning a sound problem too.

After giving more thought to the problemn, this is what happened.

1) I reinstalled Windows XP Service Pack 2 and nothing happend.
2) Since WinAmp and iTunes were showing driver errors, I downloaded a free driver checker. The only driver missing was for my Acer H243h Monitor.
3) I installed the drivers from the CD that came with the monitor and after the restart, a yellow ! show up in Device Manager-System Devices-Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. (I have no idea why. I guess my monitor have speakers but I cant see them, nor can I hear them. Or I missed the ! before).
4) Then I installed Windows XP Service Pack 3 for Networks. (There are two versions, one for single computers and the one I used. No specific reason for using the network version).
5) After the restart, two more yellow ! show up in Device Manager-System Devices-Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. (Now there were three-3).
6) I tried to reinstall the drivers for the Audio Chip that came in the motherboard (Realtek) and after reboting nothing happened
7) I went to bios and "turned off" the audio device.
8) I installed an old SB Fatal1ty sound card from my previous board and restart windows.
9) Everything went perfect from there on, except that Win Amp still not working, but I have an idea on that problem. I had to spend about two hours updating Creative drivers on line but now sound is running fine. I played music on Win Media Player and did some rumble in ModernW2. Everything is fine now.

Thank you all!!
For your advice and taking your time to help me.
NCR

Spy...Your avatar looks fantastic.
Mac...I check the spec for the GTS450 and that shouldnt be a problem.
Also, my PS is a Corsair 850.
But the observation is good!! Thank You!!
NCR

Edited by nciuro, 16 January 2011 - 12:50 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

... but now sound is running fine. I played music on Win Media Player and did some rumble in ModernW2. Everything is fine now.

Excellent! :D

Spy...Your avatar looks fantastic.

It's a Bugatti Veyron

Home page: http://www.bugatti.com
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia..../Bugatti_Veyron

nciuro

nciuro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Spy:
Awsome!!!!