Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing failed windows 7 install - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Yellowleader

Yellowleader

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hey guys,

It has been a while since I have posted here but here goes nothing.

About a month ago I was installing windows 7 and after the first initial reboot it hung up at the "starting windows" screen. I left it on for hours and it still just hung there. So I eventually had to restart it and it allowed me to boot into my previous version of windows XP with the option to boot into the windows 7 setup (Keep in mind the windows 7 setup NEVER works)

So this is all dandy until eventually it doesnt want to even allow me to boot properly into my previous version, almost like it is degrading? Whenever I try to boot it just does a looping restart, bringing me right back to the OS selection screen. I turn it off and on, I mess with bios settings, I even mess with SATA positioning for the HDD just to see if it is maybe a short or something. It doesnt even let me into safe mode.

The weird part is it isn't permanent. Sometimes it works! The problem is that it is different every time and I don't know what exactly allows it to work! I actually just leave my computer on permanently to prevent the issue, and I am so sick of doing that. Is there anything I can do to remove the windows 7 install and get my system back to boot or is it too gone and I will inevitably have to reformat?

I have looked up the issue to no avail!
PLEASE help

Thanks,
Matt

Edited by Yellowleader, 14 January 2011 - 12:14 AM.

Advertisements