Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB keyboard not recognized pre-boot

• Please log in to reply

alnoth

alnoth

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
i have a intel ashland d845glad mobo, with the latest BIOS from the manufacturer. i also have a spanking new Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 - with a USB connector.

problem is, i cannot get the keyboard to work pre-boot. this means i cannot enter BIOS, i cannot enter windows in safemode, and i cannot navigate between my choices of booting into windows or ubuntu.

after i actually do boot into windows (default choice) or ubuntu (thru the use of an old keyboard on ps2) the keyboard works fine. the keyboard is connected directly to the mobo usb slot with no ps2 reduction, usb hub, usb extention cord, or anything like that.

in BIOS i have:
set the USB2.0 to ENABLE
set the USB Legacy to ENABLE (the very first screen does tell me it already found the "legacy mouse" which is also on usb)

i should probably mention, that my ps2 connector on the mobo is acting up, sometimes it picks up a plugged in keyboard, sometimes it doesnt (and i know i am going to admit to a big taboo, but i took out the mobo and ran the computer like that with me holding the keyboard plug in the ps2 mobo connector tightly together and that works best - problem is i cant put my hand inside the computer to press the connector against the keyboard plug so i had to take out the mobo). when the first screen appears the very last line reads "keyboard error press f4 to continue". i do nothing and the boot continues...

is there anything else i should set in BIOS for it to recognize my USB keyboard so that i can use it before the OS boots completely?

Advertisements

alnoth

alnoth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
this is my startup screen - you can see the BIOS specs there in the second line as well as some of the usb settings it shows...

Posted Image

Edited by alnoth, 14 January 2011 - 01:06 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
If the BIOS isn't designed (programmed) to work with a USB keyboard, there isn't much you can do about it.

Have you tried resoldering the PS/2 keyboard connector down to the motherboard?

alnoth

alnoth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
from what i see, the soldering is ok it is something inside the little sealed metal box. besides, i dont have the equipment for a solder job... :D

as for the BIOS it does have an option labeled "USB legacy" it doesnt specify that it only concerns mouse and not keyboard. is there any way to check if this BIOS will ever accept a usb keyboard?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

from what i see, the soldering is ok it is something inside the little sealed metal box.

Sounds like it's simply worn out then. Whenever you insert/remove a PS/2, USB, video, power, etc. device, push/pull straight in/out. Wiggling them around to insert/remove them wears out the connector.

It is possible to replace the 'little sealed metal box', I've done it.

besides, i dont have the equipment for a solder job... :D

Got any electronic geek-type buddies? ;)

Close to a "Best Buy" or similar?

as for the BIOS it does have an option labeled "USB legacy" it doesnt specify that it only concerns mouse and not keyboard. is there any way to check if this BIOS will ever accept a usb keyboard?

Hmmm... If at least three different known-good USB keyboards fail to work in the BIOS, I'd be willing to bet that the BIOS will not recognize any USB keyboard. ;)

alnoth

alnoth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Sounds like it's simply worn out then. Whenever you insert/remove a PS/2, USB, video, power, etc. device, push/pull straight in/out. Wiggling them around to insert/remove them wears out the connector.

well i could understand that for a USB slot, but how many times did i insert/remove keyboard? at most a dozen over the 3 years ive had the ps2 keyboard... i mean you just stick it in and there it sits, unless theres a dang good reason to pull it out.

It is possible to replace the 'little sealed metal box', I've done it.

i know a tiny little comp shop near me, is it something they might be willing to do or are they going to kick me out the door?

more importantly... am i going to be able to find a fitting 'little sealed metal box' to replace my own?? :D

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
The "tiny little comp shop" would probably have more than one working "little sealed metal box" on old motherboards. :D

alnoth

alnoth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ah, ok, just an info here... the tiny comp shop probably has more than one working ps2 connectors and they would "try to" solder it onto my mobo for a measly $35...

nciuro

nciuro

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
How old is this mobo?
Celeron (Willamette) 1.7 entered the market in 2002.
According to my limited experience, 99% of hardware failure start as intermittent failures.
(Exclude defective new hardware).
Most small computer stores do keep computer salvage parts to do this type of repairs.
Depending on age, you might be choosing between a new $75.00 mobo, or a $35.00 repair, or a $20.00 soldering iron.

Check:

for soldering How to.

This might be of help:

"Legacy USB support provides USB functionality in environments where there normally is not USB support. Specifically, HP provides legacy USB functionality at:

* Power On Self Test (POST)
* ROM-Based Setup Utility (RBSU)
* Diagnostics
* Environments which do not support USB natively

USB devices support hot-plug at the OS level. USB devices also support hot-plugging the devices in legacy USB mode, but this feature requires additional ROM support. The table below shows what minimum ROM version is required for hot-plug functionality of USB devices in legacy mode. Servers that support legacy USB are enabled by default. To disable legacy USB support, complete USB functionality must be disabled by disabling the USB Host Controller in RBSU under PCI Devices.

Legacy USB support requires a system ROM that includes this functionality. All servers shipping in 2003 will have full USB support, meaning they will support keyboard, mouse, floppy, CD-ROM, and will support hot-plugging floppy and CD in legacy mode unless noted differently in the table below. The following table shows the minimum required ROM version to support legacy USB devices."

http://h18004.www1.h...sb-support.html

Good Luck!!

NCR

alnoth

alnoth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

The table below shows what minimum ROM version is required for hot-plug functionality of USB devices in legacy mode.

im not sure why you are referring me to an HP site, when none of my products is HP, but at any case - i am only interested at the keyboard, which the HP site lists only one entry for, and that one tells nothing. when i click on the "usb keyboard" i get this page: http://h10025.www1.h...n&cc=us&y=7&x=8

Legacy USB support requires a system ROM that includes this functionality.

i do have legacy usb support option in BIOS and it is turned ON. i suppose that having that option in BIOS is a proof in itself that the ROM issue is resolved.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
Have you tried a different USB keyboard?

alnoth

alnoth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
no, cant really get to one...

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
Until you can, I'm afraid I don't know of another way to figure out if the problem lies with the keyboard, the BIOS, or possibly some type of incompatibility problem between the two.

alnoth

alnoth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
the problem will definitely NOT be the keyboard. i believe it worked on the previous version of BIOS - no idea what that version was. besides, it is brand new out of the box...