Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to Sandy Bridge

• Please log in to reply

Badedyret

Badedyret

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Alright, so unfortunately my workstation broke down due to humidity mixed with salty air and destroyed the CPU, GPU and Motherboard. So now I'm looking for new parts to get the sucker running again.

This is my old specs:

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA1366 CPU [BUSTED]
ASUS P6T X58 Motherboard [BUSTED]
12GB G.Skill RAM (2x 3x 2GB) DDR3
1TB Seagate 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
Samsung SATA DVD Burner
Sapphire 4670 Graphics Card PCI-Express [BUSTED]
Corsair TX-650 650W PSU
Antec P183 Black Case

So I've been looking at the new Intel Core i7 2600K processors with great interest and I'm almost certain that's the processor I want. However I am in doubt in how to best utilize its power and potentially overclock it since I could easily use the extra power.

1. Which P67 Motherboard would you recommend for this CPU for potential overclocking? Currently I have my eyes on the ASUS P8P67 Evo or the Intel P67 Express.

2. Will my current PSU be sufficient to run an overclocked system?

3. What type of additional cooling would you recommend for an overclocked system? I'm reading some good stuff about the Cooler Master 212+, but would less be sufficient?

4. I need a good-value GPU in the range of 100$.

Finally I should say that this machine needs to run 24/7 at 100% workload on all four cores, so therefore I'm not sure that overclocking will be a good idea due to the already high work stress, so advice on this matter is much appreciated.

If anyone has experience with the actual process of overclocking the i7 2600K, I'd love to hear your experiences with as well.

Cheers

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) There's not a lot of choice on the Sandy Bridge front at the moment board wise, they're all P67 chipsets. The boards are all the same really, you need to decide what extra features you need.

2) Not much overclocking room on these new boards, unfortunately so I suppose it doesn't make much difference providing it's a decent brand.

3) As the overclock options are limited, any decent aftermarket cooler tends to be better than the stock one.

If the machine needs to run 24/7 at 100% load, I would suggest you don't overclock it, otherwise you'll probably come in one day and find it turned itself off.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Here's a link to an excellent Sandy Bridge Review over on TomsHardware.com:

Intel’s Second-Gen Core CPUs: The Sandy Bridge Review
12:00 AM - January 3, 2011 by Chris Angelini
http://www.tomshardw...2500k,2833.html