Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WMA seek slider not working

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi,

The seek slider on some of my .WMA videos does not work.

When I try to search the video using the seek slider, it just continue playing the video and does not allow me to search forward or backwards.

I've searched online for help but havenot found anything helpful.

I do not want to use any other player, I just want to fix these .WMA videos. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
That is possibly a codec thing. Non-Microsoft codecs sometimes do that.
Are you using codec packs ?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

That is possibly a codec thing. Non-Microsoft codecs sometimes do that.
Are you using codec packs ?

Thanks for your reply devper94

I don't know if my employer is using codec packs. What I do know is that 99% of our .WMA video and audio files allows us to search through the video/audio using the seek slider, while 1% does not.

• How can I fix the 1%? Is there a program I can use to fix these?
  • More importantly, why does this happen?

How is GeekU going? Thanks again

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Those files possibly use a codec that WMP does not support. External codecs sometimes don't support seeking.
Seeing a WMA file with such a codec is not very normal though. Check if your file is damaged. If it is, try re-encoding it. Expression Encoder or WM Encoder (both made by MS) are fine.

Also, try out VLC media player. It plays everything you can throw at it.

P/s: GeekU is running fine. Thanks.

Edited by devper94, 15 January 2011 - 08:21 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Those files possibly use a codec that WMP does not support. External codecs sometimes don't support seeking.
Seeing a WMA file with such a codec is not very normal though. Check if your file is damaged. If it is, try re-encoding it. Expression Encoder or WM Encoder (both made by MS) are fine.

Also, try out VLC media player. It plays everything you can throw at it.

P/s: GeekU is running fine. Thanks.

Thanks alot for recommending Expression Encoder and WM Encoder, and for suggesting that I re-encode them. I will try them out today. My employer may not be keen on my installing VLC but I think its a good idea as a backup, at least on the IT machines.

One more question though, how can I tell whether the .WMA file is damaged in the first place (other than the fact that I can't seek through the video/audio)? The video and sound plays from beginning to end. Thanks very much

Edited by 01010011, 15 January 2011 - 08:47 AM.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
If it plays correctly, then it might not be an error.
There is a checking tool that may help you: http://www.foobar200...ew/foo_verifier
Just as a note: re-encoding the file to a lossy format may reduce the quality by a little. If the quality is really important, then you should use a lossless format. It will make the file MUCH bigger, though.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks devper94!