Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deep Hi-Jacker

• Please log in to reply

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I have been battling a browser Hi-Jacker for the past week. Not on my system however. At first, I assumed it was only I.E. - So I switched them over to Firefox, and then discovered it was there too. Prior to installing and switching them to Firefox I did the following.
C-Cleaner
-Cleaned 7 gigs
-Ran Registry Repair about 5 times
PFC-Cleaner
-Used to remove Java and adobe temp files that C-Cleaner skips
OTM Cleaner
-To clear host files and reset .tmp files

Replaced Norton with Avast (subscription was up in February)
-Used RevoUninstaller to uninstall it so I had no craplets left over.
-Updated and Scanned with Avast, only a few bugs

Installed, Updated & Scanned with
-Spybot S&D
-Super Anti Spyware
-Malware Bytes
-Trendmicro Housecall
-Kaspersky Online scanner AND TDSKILLER
(also the common scans found under the guides on here)

It still redirects. My only thought is that the svchost.exe file is infected. My logic behind this was "JIT (Just In Time) Debugger would pop up when using Firefox, and when I would go to debug, it popped the redirected pages up in there. I have yet to run scans in safemode due to the client be out of town, and not knowing how stable things would be with remote software. Do you even think safemode would allow me to get rid of that hijacker if it were in svchost.exe?

I am above average on terminology and experience, I have done numerous removals in the past. At this stage I usually do a sfc scan, and or repair / fresh install (after trying safemode and manual methods)
I have checked the registry up and down for bugs, program files, application data, temp files, prefetch, and so fourth. I've done Hijack this a few times, the first removing everything I could find harmful or un-needed, and checking back the next days in case something "respawned".

Advertisements