Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help! Big CD Burning problem

• Please log in to reply

Brent Bertrand

Brent Bertrand

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello, I have a Gateway, Windows XP, 80 GB, 1 GB RAM....

I am recently having a problem that Im pretty sure I've had before, but forgot how to solve it.....

All of a sudden, it takes forever to burn a CD. It used to take like 90 seconds tops to burn a data CD, now it takes 10 minutes.....

The weirder thing is....when I try to play music WHILE the CD is burning, its all jumbled and choppy and slowed down....very weird, cant play it. Right when the CD stops burning, my music plays normally....

This happens on Media Monkey, Windows Media Player and ITunes....tried it out on all of them....

Also, my computer slows down when burning now....

Very frustrated and confused. Thinking of restoring my computer, that might have been what I did to fix it....or defragmenting my hard drive? I recently added alot of new music to my computer....maybe thats it?

Anyone have ANY idea what the problem is? THANKS ALOT in advance.

Edited by Brent Bertrand, 14 January 2011 - 11:15 PM.

Advertisements

Brent Bertrand

Brent Bertrand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
No one knows? Maybe I put it in the wrong forum category?

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
As you suggested, a defrag may help as that sound logical to me in relation to your problem.

However, I would also take a step back and consider this - the faster you burn a disc, the more likely it is that write-errors will occur, especially when writing data. 90 secs is mighty quick to fill a 700MB CD with data, even on a modern PC, and especially if you're in the habit of doing other stuff on the same PC while it's CD drive is burning.

Are you checking the discs you've previously burned at that speed to make sure they're reliable and readable?

By all means defrag your hard drive (and do it regularly otherwise it will take ages for it to complete), but don't always ram your burner in to top gear if you want reliably burned discs!

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 15 January 2011 - 11:09 AM.

Brent Bertrand

Brent Bertrand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the reply!

But yes I've always burned them @ 48X on MediaMonkey Gold, and they always work perfectly....

I just dont understand what could have happened. Just all of a sudden it takes 10 minutes now, slows down my computer, and when I try and play music while its burning, the music is all slowed and messed up.

I defragmented last night, but it didn't take very long. I haven't tried to burn a CD yet because Im afriad it will be the same.

Maybe I should restore my computer? That MIGHT have been what I did before.

I just cant believe other ppl havent had this problem, I searched all over Google and couldn't find anything.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Then run

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

Brent Bertrand

Brent Bertrand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Alright, I downloaded and ran TFC by OldTimer.

I then rebooted and downloaded and ran Auslogics Defrag.

Should I now try to burn a CD?

And thanks for the reply I appreciate your help.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I am wondering if your secondary drive has switched to PIO mode. You might try resetting the drive back to DMA mode.

http://forums.afterd...view.cfm/260038

Heres a regedit fix for PIO.

http://www.doubleham...for_pio_fix.htm

Do this only if your computer has reset itself to PIO mode. It might be a good idea to recopy badly scratched disks so the computer does not go back to PIO mode.

SRX660

Brent Bertrand

Brent Bertrand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the reply...

Should I use the 1st or 2nd link?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Use the first link before trying the second one.

SRX660

Brent Bertrand

Brent Bertrand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
You are awesome!

Turns out one of my secondary channels was set to PIO mode. Uninstalled it, rebooted, went to Media Monkey and burnt a data CD in like 2 minutes again, and the music was playing normally while burning.....

Thanks ALOT. Wonder why it to PIO mode....Oh well, atleast I know how to fix it now if it were to happen again.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Usual cause of PIO mode is badly scratched CD's. Because windows cannot read the CD fast enough to run in DMA(Direct Memory Access)It has to switch to PIO mode (programmable input/output).
Here's the usual speeds. (note) most computers run in UDMA but it's usually just called DMA. Note that UDMA speeds start where PIO speeds end.

ATAPI ATAPI modes supported by hard disks, CD-ROM drives etc.
PIO Mode 0 3.3
PIO Mode 1 5.2
PIO Mode 2 8.3
PIO Mode 3 11.1
PIO Mode 4 16.7
DMA Mode 0 4.2
DMA Mode 1 13.3
DMA Mode 2 16.7
UDMA Mode 0 16.7 Note Ultra DMA modes do not support overlapped seeks, bus bandwidth sharing, or command queuing/reordering because of their single-threaded nature.
UDMA Mode 1 25.0
UDMA Mode 2 33.3
UDMA Mode 3 44.4
UDMA Mode 4 66.7
UDMA Mode 5 100.0
UDMA Mode 6 133.0

SRX660