Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen

• Please log in to reply

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hello Kids,

It's been a long time but i am back at the best place to get help on the net.

My sisters PC, decided no to boot anymore, the screen goes black JUST before it shows the XP logo and that rolling bar thing.
Tried booting from CD/DVD (Ubuntu, Win 7, XP) No go. It says "Press any key to boot from CD" , I press any key and it goes to a black screen.
I am dumb founded.
Tried removing and switching up the ram, no go. Tried Removing and reseating the HDD, GFX Card, no go. No beeps. All the fans work including the PSU Fan.

Anyone, have ANY ideas??

Thanks!!

Edit : Forgot to mention that the PC might not have shut down properly before the electricity people switched the power off but I was at work and someone else did it so I am not 100% sure what happened there. Her husband says he shut it down properly.

Edited by Adrenalin, 15 January 2011 - 03:13 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
First step would be to install a working CD/DVD drive (burner). New ones start at $16.99, with free shipping, at Newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.co...e=Free Shipping

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Uh? I presume my CD/DVD is working? The HDD doesn't boot either so not to sure I understand your logic. anyway newegg is in USA, I am in South Africa :D

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If you have absolutely no access to a new CD/DVD drive in South Africa, do you, or one of your friends/associates have a known-good, compatible CD/DVD drive that you could try?

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Dude, the drive works fine. The PC has fixed itself though. Seemed to be a BIOS that was a bit messed up. All sorted now.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Good to hear the problem's been solved. Thanks for posting back. :D