Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD No keyboard or mouse function

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
My INspiron 8500 had a bad video card, the usuallbars and stripes, etc. I found its twin online inexpensively and swapped out the card. It boots just fine but hangs now at Windows. The hourglass spins and spins until the screen first turns black and then you get the BSOD. I have no mouse or keyboard function except I can move the cursor around but not activate it. I tried a USB mouse and the same thing happens. Clicking gets no response. I could reinstall windows but then I would lose all the software on the hard drive that I no longer have disks for. Can this system be rescued? I am thinking there is a problem with a driver but not able to activate key or mouse function, I can't reinstall.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If it is, as you suspect, a driver issue, starting Windows in safe mode should work when it won't start normally.
Then you'll have access to Windows to remove the offending driver (which is commonly the last driver or application that was installed before the problem started).

Don't forget, the offending driver may not be a device driver. Some applications also install drivers (Antivirus, Firewall, CD-Burning Software are common examples).

Safe Mode is accessed by tapping F8 key as soon as you turn on the PC, until the "Advanced Startup Options" screen appears (white text/black background).
Then use up/down arrow keys to highlight "Safe Mode", and press <Enter>.

In Safe Mode, Windows will look very odd with low resolution and colour-depth. That's quite normal on account of the fact that Windows ignores all third-party drivers, including those for the graphics adapter.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 15 January 2011 - 10:58 AM.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Am I incorrect in thinking my optical drive will not function in safe mode? The USB drive? I have the drivers on a back up cd but can not access them once it gets into windows. There is no response using either the keypad or mouse.