Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer connection problems

• Please log in to reply

klockdoc

klockdoc

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I have win XP. I recently went to cable from dial up. Had tons of problems with viruses. Especially, Aurora. I went to Microsoft and downloaded the Beta 1 spyware, then went to Spy Bot. Both used to remove Aurora, no luck. Neither program was run from the safe mode.

Then it was suggested through a forum to use Ewido Security. I downloaded this and ran it. While it was running, I had to leave the house. When it was through, my wife clicked correct these problems and and closed it out.

Since then, we had problems getting on the Internet through IE 6.0 or through AOL. The USB port was damaged also. It would not recongnize the modem. I deleted the ports and reinstalled, but no dice. I called the cable company and they checked the modem through pinging themselves and yahoo and the modem was working, but not allowing me to get on the Internet. Finally I went out and purchased an Ethernet card and ran the modem through that. That seemed to work.

I checked the log for Ewido and found several Generic Dialers that it deleted. I figured that these came from AOL, so I reinstalled a newer version 9.0. Now I can get on the Internet through AOL, but still can not get on through Internet Explorer.

Also, I still had Aurora. So I located the file nail.exe and deleted it, but, it kept coming back. So I went to dos and deleted it from the c: drive. Now when I boot up the computer, I keep getting a notice that says I cannot locate the file nail.exe. Another annoying problem.

My question is, since there is not a repair feature on IE like on Win 98, can I load the WIN XP disk and repair windows through that and will it repair the Internet Explorer or is there another way.

Also, how do I get rid of the annoying nail.exe file missing message?

If I need to post the highjack this log, let me know. I am at work and need to get it from home.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
First you are likely still have some malware, and if there is one, there is probably more.

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.