Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer dosent see video card

• Please log in to reply

mustang18

mustang18

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys ive been trying to figure this out for days and its driving me nuts ok so the other day my video card stops working randomly after reboot its a 8600gts i plugged the VGA cable into the onboard port and got display, i thought it might have been fried so i pulled out the card and stuck it in another computer and it worked just fine, so i tried to take a video card out of another computer and tryed it in mine and it worked no problem i changed the video adapter settings in BIOS tryed drivers and clean reinstalled windows and still nothing its like my motherboard is ignoring the video card because other video cards work in my computer and the 8600gts works in other computers any ideas?

my computer is a HP m8000n MY PC

Edited by mustang18, 15 January 2011 - 07:03 PM.

Advertisements

mustang18

mustang18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok im pretty sure its a hardware problem just tryed to boot in ubuntu 10.10 and still had no display also cleared CMOS to no aveil

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi mustang18 :D
This may be a PSU issue, did the replacement card that you tried in your computer that worked need a separate power supply from the PSU, have you tried another power supply from the PSU to the present card?
What is the make and model of your PSU.

nciuro

nciuro

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I agree with phillpower2.
If your card works perfectly in other computer and another card works fine in yours,
check the power requirements for each card.
The cards you swtch are both 8600GTS?

You can check the PS with a Power Supply Tester.

http://www.compusa.c...7108&CatId=5471

http://www.compusa.c...6749&CatId=5471

Good Luck!!