Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD drive not reading any discs

• Please log in to reply

Jason54178

Jason54178

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey everyone!

My laptop is a Gateway NV52 series and I've never been able to read any discs ever since I bought the laptop. This problem is very inconvenient and I was hoping someone here might know the answer!

I've tried uninstalling the DVD drive and then restarting my laptop but that didn't work.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

My laptop is a Gateway NV52 series and I've never been able to read any discs ever since I bought the laptop

Bought brand new and how long ago?
Does the cdrom show up in My Computer?

Jason54178

Jason54178

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Bought brand new about a year ago... Never bothered with the problem because I can get everything digitally. Now I'm seeing that wasn't such a good choice.

Yep it shows up on My Computer

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Warranty still good on it? If so I would say let them fix it under warranty as there is no telling what is wrong honestly.
I would say a defective drive that needs to be replaced.

nciuro

nciuro

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I agree with Rshaffer!!
Defective drive.
Try an audio CD and the problem should persist.
If your are able to see the drive in your Device Manager and theres no (!) next to it, windows is showing that everything is fine.
But the "reader" (ray-light) may not be working properly.
NCR

Jason54178

Jason54178

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well warranty's gone now...

I did contact Gateway before and the solution they gave me was do a system restore, but I don't think that will fix anything.

I think I might just get an external one and just leave it alone.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sadly it seems to be a dead drive but you may be right about just getting a external one. Then you can take it anywhere and use it on any system that way.
I found these HERE just to give you a ideal of where to start and look.

Jason54178

Jason54178

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Sadly it seems to be a dead drive but you may be right about just getting a external one. Then you can take it anywhere and use it on any system that way.
I found these HERE just to give you a ideal of where to start and look.

Thanks for the help! :D