Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage at 50% when doing nothing

• Please log in to reply

wackodacko

wackodacko

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Not sure whats going on, but it makes my computer sluggish. Useable, but sluggish. I know its not normal, beacuse in safe mode the CPU usage is at 0%.

I thought it was a virus but ive run malware bytes, avg and any previous instances of viruses have been removed (i think) and nothing is out of the ordinary

please help thank you

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You might try looking at your running background programs and see if turning any off( unchecking them) fixes your problem.

To start the msconfig program,

Click Start
Select Run
Type msconfig in the text box
The "System Configuration Utility" window will open

MSCONFIG: The great thing about the MSConfig tool is that Microsoft provided it as a Debugging tool, free of charge. Using the check box to the left of each program will Enable or Disable the program from running. You reboot and see if the change caused a problem, and if not, leave it turned off. If you turn a program Off and after rebooting find it is back on again, then you have a program that is behaving like a Virus. It may not be a Virus, but it is behaving like one. This can happen because you Disabled a program that the Windows operating system, or other system application requires, whereby, Windows is kind of protecting you from yourself when it re-enables the application you foolishly disabled.

Be warned, this tool is not fool proof. Work with the Startup TAB but keep you mouse clicking fingers off the other Tabs unless you really know what your doing. Look up each program to make sure you are not disabling a windows program needed by the OS.

SRX660

wackodacko

wackodacko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I went to msconfig and unchecked all other weird STARTUP items. the only things left checked are:
1) Apoint (dell trackpad mouse driver thing)
2) WLTray (wireless lan card?)
3) AVGTray (avg antivirus)
4) nvcpl (nvidia dll)
5)msnmsgr (msn messenger)
6) ctfmon (dunno, but it sounds legit)
7) bluetooth

thats it. everything else is unchecked, and still its at 50% doing nothing.

I went to SERVICES and everything check is made by microsoft. I noitced something called CRYPTSVC not sure what it is, its by microsoft. i unchecked it, but upon reboot its still isted as RUNNING in Services tab. Yesterday I removed the CRYPTO/W32 virus, dont know if its related?