Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not starting - PSU not even powering up!

• Please log in to reply

netvertise

netvertise

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my first post. If I've left out any info required for a problem resolution please let me know.

First and foremost, thank you in advance for responding. I've spent enough hours troubleshooting this computer that I'm getting double vision and have nearly given up on it.

Here are my components:

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo
EVGA 9600 GSO graphics
Antec case and 430W PSU

Ok, here is my problem.

Some time ago my video card stopped working (or at least seemed to stop working). The monitor would read "No video input detected". Additionally when I booted my computer, my onboard speaker would give me a long beep followed by three short beeps (an indication that the is no video card detected). Since this had happened to me four years ago when I first built my computer I gave it no second thought and RMA'd by graphics card. When I follow up with EVGA they told me that the graphics card worked just fine on their end but that they would send me an alternate replacement. That was when I first suspected that my problem was something other than the video card.

Having received the video card I installed it in my first PCI-e slot and sure enough, the computer would try to boot up (fans and PSU worked) but the same beeping signals from the mobo and no display on the monitor indicated that there was still a problem. I then inserted the video card in the second PCI-e slot and everything worked fine for a couple of days. Then every once in a while the monitor would intermittently display a "no video input detected" and upon reboot I would have the same problem all over again.

At this point I did something that I shouldn't have. While the computer was on I opened the case and touched the graphics card prior to grounding myself. Immediately the entire computer shut down. I figured that I must have fried something. I tried booting up the computer to no avail. Nothing would work, not even the PSU or fans.

After some research on the web I figured that my PSU may have gone bad. I tested it with a multimeter and everything checked out but decided to replace it with a new 500W PSU. Tried it with the same result.

Fast forward a few weeks later. I got a hand on another A8N32-SLI mobo with a different processor (these items are not new). I rebuilt the computer with these parts. Nothing. Nada. Same result.

I even borrowed a friends graphics card and again same result. The PSU wouldn't even power anything....neither the case fan or its own fan!

So here I am wondering what are the chances of this thing not booting up after having changed the video card, PSU, mobo, and processor?!

My last ditch attempt was to run a bench test in the event that the casing was causing a short in the system. I hooked up the bare minimum (just harddrive). Same result.

The only thing that managed to make the PC boot up (meaning I could hear the harddrive load up XP) was when I removed the video card. Of course I couldn't connect the monitor but I could see all the fans powering up and the harddrive clearly going through the motions of loading the operating system.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? I feel like I've exhausted all my possibilities. As a side note, my friends graphics card worked fine when he loaded it back into his PC.

What are the chances that I've got two motherboards with 4 PCI-e slots all gone bad?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi netvertise :D

What are the chances that I've got two motherboards with 4 PCI-e slots all gone bad?

Not impossible, it doesn`t have to be the pci-e slot that is the issue anything to do with the MB can cause this.
Try clearing the CMOS by removing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB for a few moments and then replace it, try it with only one stick of Ram, try different Ram slots, disconnect the HDD and see if you get the BIOS screen.
If you still have no luck you need to get the card tested in another computer, this is the only way to rule the card in or out as the culprit, it is not unknown for suppliers to return the same item if it tests ok, you havn`t listed the details of the replacement PSU, is it a known good one, can it provide enough amps for the card and is the power wire connected to the card.

Battery .jpeg courtesy of rshaffer61

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I would try just one stick of RAM at a time.

netvertise

netvertise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've tried one stick at a time and in different slots. I've got two sticks. Even if the sticks were bad it would at least boot up with the video card in. Remember it boots up just fine without the video card.

Also EVGA sent me a different card since the first one was a 7600GT. Since I've tried to power up the system with my friends video card (which it a working card) I know that it's not the video card that's the problem.

I'll try clearing the CMOS but I doubt that will not make the computer power up.

I'll give it a shot and I'll write back.

As for the PSU, it is an e-power technology model no. EP-500PMX. It's a very generic PSU. What gets me is that when I test both PSU's for voltage they check out perfectly.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Even if the sticks were bad it would at least boot up with the video card in

This is incorrect Im afraid, when the computer performs the POST (power on self test) if it encounters a component that has an issue it will shut down the system, with the GFX card in if you remove both of the Ram sticks and power up do you get error beeps, if you do it may suggest the Ram is ok and it is the card or slot/s that is the problem.

Remember it boots up just fine without the video card.

Without getting a screen you cannot be sure of this, check the condition of the video cable including the end connectors, look for bent pins then make sure they are attached securely to the pc and monitor (finger tight) have you got another screen you can try, a laptop will do if it has a VGA port.

Since I've tried to power up the system with my friends video card (which it a working card) I know that it's not the video card that's the problem.

Again you cannot be sure of this, your card needs to be tested and confirmed to be working as it possibly shorted out
when you touched it + it may have damaged the MB, look for scorching or bulging capacitors.
I will see if I can find any information on the replacement PSU, the Antec PSU is not capable of supplying the 450W that your GFX card requires.