Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with the monitor

• Please log in to reply

Gasol

Gasol

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Hello lads!
I have a problem with my monitor (Samsung, SyncMaster 720N). Maybe it is a natural problem or maybe it is a virus.
From time to time, on display appears "brightness" like I put the menu button from monitor. For some seconds, or minutes, all six buttons from monitor are blocked, so the "brightness" text don't disappear from image.
Another problem it is with Power button from the monitor. Sometimes when I push to close it, appears like I pushed another button, the one with "auto-select"...

Please tell me if it is possible to be a virus. Or maybe it is the time to change it (the monitor have 4 years, so it is not so old). I want to know if maybe it is possible to update some features on it (driver or else).

Thank you!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
A virus cannot affect a monitor's own adjustment controls.

As for a monitor driver, many people don't even bother installing one even if it's supplied, and again that would have no effect
on the functions of the monitor's own adjustment buttons. The driver simply tells Windows what model it is, and what resolutions & colour-depths the monitor is capable of, sometimes it also installs a monitor profile to use in colour management. None of that would affect the behaviour of the monitor buttons.

My guess is the monitor controls are faulty. No driver would fix that.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 16 January 2011 - 05:17 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I agree with phill. Monitors don't need or use drivers in the same sense as other hardware. Monitors are plug n play. It is the graphic card (or on-board) drivers that matter. The only thing the monitor drivers do, as phill stated, is to report to Windows the features that monitor supports so Windows does not list those it doesn't. It also provides the make and model number so you don't see Plug n Play for a description.

It sounds to me that either your monitor is failing, or the buttons are dirty and sticking. If you smoke in front of your monitor, then I would suspect they are gummed up. You may be able to unplug the monitor from the wall and just push on all the buttons a bunch of times in the hopes they clean themselves a bit. If no help then you can spray the switches with electrical contact cleaner available at Radio Shack, but I caution that it may eat at the plastic around the buttons, or the button itself. So a trip to a qualified technician may be in order.