Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer doesn't use RAM

• Please log in to reply

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I just put a 256mb stick of RAM in. This is now my second so i have 512mb overall. But for some reason windows xp decides to use virtual memory instead of the full amount of RAM. Why and how to I make it use alll of the RAM before using virtual memory. I brought RAM so it would use it and no virtual memory please help.

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
No offense meant but you've been reading too many articles about maximizing system performance and they're not all they are cracked up to be. You can manually control your virtual memory by going to Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced. Now that you've got the road map, I'd advise you not to travel that route. (knowing full well that you're not going to listen because you want to find out for yourself)

:tazz:

Edited by Rockster2U, 28 May 2005 - 10:29 PM.

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hmm... so the way you say it... its good to hav loads of the ram as back up an rely heavily on virtual ram or watever u call it? Caus i dont know much about this an its a curiousity... could you like tell us all the advantages an disadvantages of various ways of doin it?
:tazz: