Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network between XP and Win7 lost on reboot

• Please log in to reply

criptonite

criptonite

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have created an account called laptop on a Windows 7 desktop so that the laptop can connect to the Win 7 network via the wireless router. This is so that I can share the printer connected via usb to the Win 7 Desktop.

Everything works fine i.e. I can print from the XP laptop to the printer via the network...until I restart the laptop. Then I cannot access the network, apparently because of logon restrictions. If I delete the account from Win 7 and create a new one then delete the printer from the the XP laptop and reinstall using the new account details I can print to the shared printer again....until I restart the laptop.

I can't think of what I'm missing. Any thoughts?

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Sounds like you have a pretty complicated setup for sharing that printer - you shouldn't need a separate user account. Can you explain a little bit more about your network setup and how you shared the printer?

This Windows article has some pretty basic steps for sharing a printer, simply click the To share a printer attached to your computer link to view detailed simple instructions.

criptonite

criptonite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I agree, it is complicated. I went back to the beginning and tried a different way.

First I left homegroup on the Win 7 machine, computer name DAVID-PC (according to another site homegroup only works between Win7 PC's) and created a work network. I used the default name of WORKGROUP. Then I changed the workgroup name on the XP laptop from MSHOME to WORKGROUP. I found after that that I needed to rightclick the epson printer, select properties and turn on printer sharing, which I did. Then I could print to the printer on the Win 7 machine. But, I rebooted everything and now the XP laptop can't print over the laptop again. The error dialog says "Windows can't print due to a problem with the current printer setup". I've tried pining DAVID-PC and it can't find the host DAVID-PC.

criptonite

criptonite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Found the problem! It was nothing to do with the network settings. For some reason, my laptop loses the wireless connection to my Netgear router. I have to reboot the router then XP can see and print over the network. THanks for your help though. I now know how to set up a much simpler network

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Good to hear you got it working!