Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot from cd

• Please log in to reply

ontheropes

ontheropes

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have an asus P7P55D-E Motherboard, and I am running Win7x64
it is a new build and I have recently loaded Win7 and drivers etc and ingeneral things seem to be running fine.

However on booting to a cd the Asus splashscreen appears for a few seconds withseveral options
Hit delete for BIOS
F8 for boot from CD etc

Now this is fine but if you do not hit the key in the few seconds then windows boots automatically which does not seem right to me.
I have boot order set as 1st - CD/DVD so that should be right and I have the latest BIOS version 1404

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Are you sure the CD your trying to boot from is in fact a bootable one?

ontheropes

ontheropes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Yes
If I press F8 during boot it will boot to cd and i have succeded in a system restore this way.
My point is though surely I sould not have to press F8

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
The idea is, when most people flip the computer on, they want it to start Windows ... with NO interaction required.

If they forgot and left something else bootable inserted/attached somewhere, ignore it! Boot into Windows, Now!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
This behavior sounds normal to me. If you have CD first in the boot order, the normal process is for the user to be prompted to press a key to boot to the CD. If no key is pressed within a short period of time, the delay times out and the boot process proceeds to the next device in the boot order. It is not supposed to automatically boot to the CD.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

This behavior sounds normal to me. If you have CD first in the boot order, the normal process is for the user to be prompted to press a key to boot to the CD. If no key is pressed within a short period of time, the delay times out and the boot process proceeds to the next device in the boot order. It is not supposed to automatically boot to the CD.

I agree with this

ontheropes

ontheropes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Okay, thanks all. As the opinion is unanimous then I am happy with that. :D

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Well forgive me for throwing a spanner in the works. My PC is set to boot from CD first in the BIOS (I prefer that setting even though F11 allows me choose a boot device as a "one off" regardless of the boot sequence in the BIOS.

With CD-Drive set as the first boot device, I don't have to press any key to boot from a bootable CD unless it's a Windows installation disc which of course requires "press any key to boot from CD". But all my other bootable discs (Seagate Diagnostics, Paragon Hard Disk Manager etc.) do not require any keys to be pressed, they boot just fine without me pressing anything.

I regard that as normal behaviour when "CD-Drive" is set as the first boot device in the BIOS, and it's worked that way on every PC & laptop that I've used.

Presumably the OP's machine is just different to what has always been my experience.
Anyhow, it's no big deal and it's not a problem for the OP, but I had to post my comments.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 18 January 2011 - 05:57 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hmmm, never seen that. What motherboard?

ontheropes

ontheropes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Digerati, was that to me?
If so well a asus P7P55D-E

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Digerati, was that to me?
If so well a asus P7P55D-E

No. It was to Phillip.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Well forgive me for throwing a spanner in the works. My PC is set to boot from CD first in the BIOS (I prefer that setting even though F11 allows me choose a boot device as a "one off" regardless of the boot sequence in the BIOS.

With CD-Drive set as the first boot device, I don't have to press any key to boot from a bootable CD unless it's a Windows installation disc which of course requires "press any key to boot from CD". But all my other bootable discs (Seagate Diagnostics, Paragon Hard Disk Manager etc.) do not require any keys to be pressed, they boot just fine without me pressing anything.

I regard that as normal behaviour when "CD-Drive" is set as the first boot device in the BIOS, and it's worked that way on every PC & laptop that I've used.

Presumably the OP's machine is just different to what has always been my experience.
Anyhow, it's no big deal and it's not a problem for the OP, but I had to post my comments.

The reason the Windows installation disc inserts the "Press any key to boot from CD" option is because the Windows install takes so long that the user may now not be in front of the computer. And if the computer were to automatically boot the Windows installation disc again, (instead of from the hard drive this time), the Windows installation routine would start over from the beginning.