Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Computer Just Boots and Reboots

• Please log in to reply

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I need assistance with a Dell Optiplex GX280 computer that has me stumped with multiple problems.

It runs under XP, it's service tag is h8r6761, has a Dell mobo oy5638, now the problems:

1. Most of the time it continually reboots [sometimes it actually works]

2. Each time it does actually come on it has lost its Show Quick Launch

3. It sometimes says it has 'invalid configuration info' even though it has the factory default.

4. It has lost some of its drivers as follows: Multimedia Sudio Controller, Video Controller, Video Controller (VGA Compatibal), Ethernet Controller [this I do not care about as I am on dial-up]

Attempted corrective measures already done:

1. Checked harddrives (sata) even replacing one with a known good one from another computer.

2. Replaced memory sticks.

3. Changed 3 volt battery.

4. Ran ccleaner

If you can help it will be much appreciated.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi jsullivan, let's see if we can get you back up and running. It sounds like you are pretty competent (well, since you swapped out HDDs and what not) so I'll try not to mince words.

What was the result with a known good drive? Apart from the obvious driver issues you would have with a swapped in drive, did you experience rebooting?
At what point does the computer reboot? During POST (the beginning when the DELL screen is up) or during Windows bootup (with the Windows screen) or while everything is loading (after Windows screen/logon)?
Are you able to boot into Safe Mode and reinstall the corrupt drivers?

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
By the way, just to follow up on maybe later if other tips dont help. Do you have a Dell brand xp CD? or is one available to borrow?
Must be a Dell brand cd..

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Admiral

1. Not only did I put in new hard drives, but I wiped them clean and reloaded windows XP inc. SP3.

2. Once in a great while it boots up okay, but most of the time it 'bombs' out at the beginning of the boot and goes into revolving cycle.

3. Not able to boot to 'safe mode.'

4. I have checked the 'cmos' to make sure all settings are correct.

Edited by jsullivan33403, 17 January 2011 - 08:33 AM.

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi rosiesdad

I unfortunately do NOT have a Dell brand XP disk.

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
How about the specific drivers? http://support.dell....tid=-1&impid=-1

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi rosiesdad

Thanks for the driver link; however, I must get it to boot up first.

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi rosiesdad

Thanks for the driver link; however, I must get it to boot up first.

jsullivan33403

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

2. Once in a great while it boots up okay, but most of the time it 'bombs' out at the beginning of the boot and goes into revolving cycle.

The important part is when. Describe what you see on the screen, how long it takes, how full the bar is, if the computer is loud... You really need to be descriptive. If it "bombs out" when the DELL logo screen is up, it is a hardware problem. If it "bombs out" during the Windows screen, it could be a Windows installation problem, or a driver problem.

Go ahead and start up the computer, and then let it reboot a couple of times. Type what you see, and be descriptive. That will help us out the most.

As it boots and reboots, watch the diagnostic lights on the back of the computer. The diagnostic lights are the number 9 below. Watch for a pattern, figure out which lights are on (and what colors) when the computer reboots.

Posted Image

Consider making a Dell Diagnostic CD to run hardware diagnostics as explained in the User Manual.

Looking forward to hearing from you!