Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External USB graphics card to replace internal card

• Please log in to reply

programmer4life

programmer4life

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have one of these DV9000 systems with a bad video card. System was a gift years ago and is now out of warranty.

Rather than rip the computer apart to fix the bad chip, I'd like to simply add an external UBS graphics/video card, but I'd like it to somehow make the laptop LCD to work. I can sometimes see what's on the screen by plugging in an external monitor, but would like the external device to be 'plug and play' and make the LCD automatically use the external video card instead. I would think it's possible for manufacturers to make one for such purpose, but have they?

Thanks.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
There's no input or connectivity options available on the laptop to drive it's screen from an external device, not even on expensive laptops.
Not that I'm aware of anyhow.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 16 January 2011 - 02:56 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I have one of these DV9000 systems with a bad video card. System was a gift years ago and is now out of warranty.

Rather than rip the computer apart to fix the bad chip, I'd like to simply add an external UBS graphics/video card, but I'd like it to somehow make the laptop LCD to work. I can sometimes see what's on the screen by plugging in an external monitor, but would like the external device to be 'plug and play' and make the LCD automatically use the external video card instead. I would think it's possible for manufacturers to make one for such purpose, but have they?

Thanks.

Not an option, unfortunately because there is no such thing as an "external video card". Such a device would need a working internal video in the first place.
The issue in question is the overheating graphics card chip. This problem is common (but other brands are affected) on HP laptops. To fix the problem is more than it's probably worth on the basis the issue is fundamentally a design issue in the first place.

However if you're interested...
http://en.kioskea.ne...black-screen#19

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Thanks for your input, Neil. I hadn't noticed it was an HP model. Seems like the overheating is a real problem on HP laptops as it's famously known for affecting the wireless chip as well on certain models. I've had experience of that myself when trying (unsuccessfully) to "revive" the wireless chip on my grandaughter's Compaq. My son says he made the wrong choice buying a Compaq for her - it was the low price that attracted him. I bought my wife a laptop for her birthday and fortunateley I knew enough about HP laptops to steer clear of them! It's time HP got it's act together.

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I already know about the problem, and how to fix it:

There are such things as external video cards, I was just wondering if I can configure it to work on a device not directly plugged into it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Thanks for your input, Neil. I hadn't noticed it was an HP model. Seems like the overheating is a real problem on HP laptops as it's famously known for affecting the wireless chip as well on certain models. I've had experience of that myself when trying (unsuccessfully) to "revive" the wireless chip on my grandaughter's Compaq. My son says he made the wrong choice buying a Compaq for her - it was the low price that attracted him. I bought my wife a laptop for her birthday and fortunateley I knew enough about HP laptops to steer clear of them! It's time HP got it's act together.

It's not a HP issue. It's an NVidia issue and the problem is NOT unique to HP/Compaq.
The problem will occur eventually on all current NVidia laptop graphic products no matter what brand you buy. It's just the problems have surfaced on the HP's and suffered the most publicity.