Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP computer in on off on loop

• Please log in to reply

xcilo

xcilo

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello this is my first build and I am having a slight problem. I installed everything mobo psu cpu and my ram was coming a week later. So I put what I had in and turned it in and it worked great It stayed on all the lights and fans were running smoothly. But a week later when I got ram I installed it and pressed the power button and everything turned on for a second then shut off then turned back on by itself then off ect. So I took the ram out and tried it and same thing it started to loop. I have benchtested everthing and it still is stuck in the loop. I know it is not my psu because I tested it with a multimeter. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We need more information.
Mobo make and model
Memory make and specs
Old memory make and specs.
Is mobo memory slots color coded?

xcilo

xcilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
GA-h55-usb3
Inel i5 760 2.86 ghz
gskill ripjaw ddr3 8gb 4x2
yes there color coded and yes they r in the right spots White for gigabyte boards

xcilo

xcilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
There wasnt ram in it before I would started it to make sure all my connections were right this is the first ram

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First you said:

I installed everything mobo psu cpu and my ram was coming a week later. So I put what I had in and turned it in and it worked great It stayed on all the lights and fans were running smoothly. But a week later when I got ram I installed it and pressed the power button and everything turned on for a second then shut off then turned back on by itself then off ect

Now you say

There wasnt ram in it before I would started it to make sure all my connections were right this is the first ram

If what you meant is you put the parts in and started it with no ram then ok I understand that.
Now if memory is new try one stick at a time and boot the system. Does the system boot then. If so turn off and try the next stick. If all sticks boot then move to two sticks at a time.

xcilo

xcilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It doesnt boot with either I have everything out of the case bench testing it and even with the board psu and cpu only it still is in the loop

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like bad memory then.
Everything started and stayed started with no memory in it originally?
Does it do it without any memory in it now?

xcilo

xcilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
yea everything started now it wont though even withour memory i am exchanging the mobo and cpu

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That would have been the next items to look at. Most likely a motherboard problem.

xcilo

xcilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Sounds like bad memory then.
Everything started and stayed started with no memory in it originally?
Does it do it without any memory in it now?

Now even when i take the memory out it still is in the loop

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep motherboard or cpu. Since you are already exchanging mobo and cpu we can find out for sure.

xcilo

xcilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok thank you so much for the help I'll post when the mobo and cpu get here

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'll monitor for your results. Good luck :D

xcilo

xcilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
hello I got the Mobo and cpu today I put it all together and when I power on I get ONE short beep, which in the book means that it boot sucessfully but I dont get a picture on either an old VGA moniter or an HDMI moniter

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are there two power connectors from the PSU to the mobo and are they both connected?
Did you by chance bench test the new mobo and cpu before installing in the case?