Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP computer in on off on loop

• Please log in to reply

xcilo

xcilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
yes they are no i didnt bench test but everything stays on just no video output

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then you may have a defective video chip on the mobo or a defective video card. You are sure both monitors work?

xcilo

xcilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
yes one is a vga the other is my tv the VGA reconizes that is it plugged in but it is in like stand by mode shouldnt I get at least the BIOS

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not if the video chip is shot.
You are getting one beep in post so that indicates everything is good and two different monitors don't work regardless of the video connection.
Memory is in the correct slots and seated properly.
If it is a video card you have on the mobo is it powered correctly.
If onboard video then powering it would not be a issue.

xcilo

xcilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok im back I got a video card(EVGA Geforce GTS 450) and it worked and i put windows 7 on and everything was working fine untill i noticed it that one of my sticks of ram was not fully seated. Well me being a newbie i didnt shut off the computer and i popped it in and also adjusted my video card power cords. Well now I dont get any display and half the time my CPU fan does not spin any ideas on what i may have done.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Well me being a newbie i didnt shut off the computer and i popped it in and also adjusted my video card power cords. Well now I dont get any display and half the time my CPU fan does not spin any ideas on what i may have done.

:D

Well lets see if this work.
Disconnect the power form the system completely. Then push and hold the power switch for 5 seconds. Plug the power back in and see if the system will now restart.
If not then you may need to remove the cmos battery for 5 minutes and then oput it back in and start your system then.
First thing after restarting and if you get video is to go into the bios and set the time and date correctly as this will be off since you just manually reset the bios.

xcilo

xcilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
they didnt work the cpu fan spins but no video

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then we need to do a in case bench test.
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:
Try booting it now

xcilo

xcilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
still didnt work

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you still have the original ram for the system and if so try putting it in by itself and booting up the system.
Is your memory slots color coded?

Advertisements

xcilo

xcilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i build the system from the ground up it is brand new so i dont have any other rAM and yes they are color coded there in the right slots though (white for gigabyte) sorry i havnt responded my laptop is now not working because it says the xp config sys 32 file is missing

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm did you share a file with your laptop from the desktop system?

xcilo

xcilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
no what happen to my new desktop is i notice one stick of ram was popped out so i snapped it back in place when it was still on and i also noticed one of my video card 4 pin power connectors was off so i put that on while it was turned on and it sparked now i dont get a display i think i might have fried my video card but what worries me is sometimes my cpu fan stops spinning now

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

so i put that on while it was turned on and it sparked now i dont get a display i think i might have fried my video card

Yeah I think you are right there.
You may have caused a short on the mobo doing that also. Have you checked it to see if there are any burn marks, capacitors bulging or blown?
Check this site HERE and see if you have any signs of a capacitor problem.

xcilo

xcilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
sorry i havnt been on in a while I checked for burn marks and i didnt find any I sent back the card and should get a new one by next wednsday and once again thanks for all the help.